DIY Deer Antler Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Just finished my frigidaire 4.4 kegerator conversion. Bought some fittings online and made tap handles from a set of antlers that I got several years ago. Yes, it's a smaller deer but any bigger and I didn't think they would look right. My project kegerator is finally complete!

Tap Handles.jpg

sweet.. although I'd be worried about stabbing my hand when going for a pint (after having a few that is).

Ya the points almost get in the way when you pull for a draft but it's not too bad. If I were to re-do them I'd have the antlers facing a little more to the rear. I've got plenty more lying around though so I might make a new set sometime down the road.

Really a little fork horn that was just splitting off of his spikes would be ideal. Of course those bucks aren't in our man't program up here :D.

If you have any big sheds where the G2's carry serious mass, that would look really awesome to have that one mega tine as a tap handle. Especially if they came from different deer, with different character.

Really good idea though

i just got some of my own. How did you drill the holes in the bone? 3/8" bit slowly then glue the brass insert in there?

Nice idea, Freak buck rack tho... I'd kill that off in a heart beat to get it out of the genetic pool. im thinking a 2-1/2 yr/old

I'll have to give this a try tomorrow. No drill press, but I'll be steady with my drill :)

I used a drill press and went slow starting with a small bit and then worked my way up, not sure what size the final bit size was. If I were you I would definitely start small so you can get the holes going straight and then work your way up. Once the holes are in I screwed the fittings onto the taps placed the antlers on and made marks as to where to glue the antler so it would be facing the right direction when I screwed it on. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Jigged on drill press, slow drilled, epoxy with lots of buffer to encapsulate inserts. These are 3 years old.

I'm looking to make a pair of antler tap handles from a set that was gifted to me. Can you explain the process of using the epoxy to hold the brass inserts in? I fear that the epoxy would expand into the inner hole in the insert that attaches so the faucet.

Thanks!

Back