Thoughts on this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am in the process of getting ready for a 1 gal batch and was hoping to get some feedback. I'm making this out of items I have on hand because I feel like brewing, so i'm not expecting perfection.

Ingredients:
1/2 pack Lalvin D47
2lbs pure wildflower honey
32oz pure 100% cranberry juice (stuff is tart as hell!)
12 oz fresh cranberries
1/32 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
2 tbsp bea pollen for nutrients

Any thoughts? Should I leave the cranberry skins in after simmering them? I know grape skins can provide tannins which give a nice taste, however after about 30 minutes simmering the skins are almost transparent.

Also, for those who are curious about the last 2 items: bee pollen is a good natural nutrient, and I've used it successfully in the past, and p. meta is for sanitizing the juice/honey. I'll add both and let the batch sit for 24 hours, then pitch yeast.

Ultimate goal is a nice sparkling melomel

sounds good, have you ran it through a program to see what the projected FG will be. looks like it may be on the dry side although I'm not sure how much sugar is in the cranberries and juice but sounds very drinkable with the tartness they should provide. best of luck and let me know how it turns out.

Hey folks, I am in the process of getting ready for a 1 gal batch and was hoping to get some feedback. I'm making this out of items I have on hand because I feel like brewing, so i'm not expecting perfection.

Ingredients:
1/2 pack Lalvin D47
2lbs pure wildflower honey
32oz pure 100% cranberry juice (stuff is tart as hell!)
12 oz fresh cranberries
1/32 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
2 tbsp bea pollen for nutrients

Any thoughts? Should I leave the cranberry skins in after simmering them? I know grape skins can provide tannins which give a nice taste, however after about 30 minutes simmering the skins are almost transparent.

Also, for those who are curious about the last 2 items: bee pollen is a good natural nutrient, and I've used it successfully in the past, and p. meta is for sanitizing the juice/honey. I'll add both and let the batch sit for 24 hours, then pitch yeast.

Ultimate goal is a nice sparkling melomel

Oh dear god what are you thinking... lol just kidding it sounds good.

I'm not sure I would simmer the cranberries, I would crush them a little before adding them, and possibly freeze them as well.

I made a cranberry mead once, a small batch I think it was about 3/4 gallon. I just crushed the berries before adding them, it turned out great. But most people say that freezing them first helps break down the fruit cells for the yeast. Boiling simmering them will change the flavour and possibly set the pectins, leaving your mead cloudy.

I would also consider trying to make this a bit sweeter, you think the cranberries are tart now? Just wait unit they are done fermenting...

Hm, I just added a dash of pectic enzyme (3/4 tsp), I didn't think about setting the pectins with the heat.

I wasn't able to find a good calculator for the cranberry juice or the boiled cranberries. My current SG (still need to add yeast tomorrow which will slightly dilute this) is 1.093 when adjusted for temperature.

I would prefer it a little more on the dry side since my aim is to make it sparkling, and I think the tartness will compliment the carbonation, unless folks think it's going to be *too* dry (like drinking too-young champagne sort of dry).

Right now it smells fantastic, which is a good start!

Hm, I just added a dash of pectic enzyme (3/4 tsp), I didn't think about setting the pectins with the heat.

I wasn't able to find a good calculator for the cranberry juice or the boiled cranberries. My current SG (still need to add yeast tomorrow which will slightly dilute this) is 1.093 when adjusted for temperature.

I would prefer it a little more on the dry side since my aim is to make it sparkling, and I think the tartness will compliment the carbonation, unless folks think it's going to be *too* dry (like drinking too-young champagne sort of dry).

Right now it smells fantastic, which is a good start!

Well if tart is what you are after, then great! The cranberry mead I made was still and sweet, because I made it for my wife. It turned out great for her. I am not sure how yours will taste (too tart or not), but there are options if you decide to go sweeter.

There are non-fermentable sugars, you could stovetop pasturize, or you can stablize, back-sweeten, then force carbonate. I am only sharing ideas incase you decide to go that road. This is your baby, so take her where you want to go.

Good luck!

Back