Angry Orchard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on a recipe for angry orchard cider? SWMBO loves that stuff and I would like to put a keg of it on tap.

Anyone have any ideas on a recipe for angry orchard cider? SWMBO loves that stuff and I would like to put a keg of it on tap.
Working on Version 2 as I type. Version 1 was close to Angry Orchard Crisp, but I can do better. Will post a recipe when I have the clone.

I love angry orchard crisp. Anyone know of a Crispin clone recipe, the regular, not their special craft ciders? Limited edition Woodchuck Belgian is good too.

There's a micro-cidery out of Salem, Oregon that's awesome! Wandering Aengus. Their Wanderlust cider is freakin amazing! I don't have access to pressed juice, or I might try imitating it. If I had any clue how to go about coming up with clones. hah!

Angry Orchard, Magners, Crispin, Strongbow, and Hornsby's are all very good ciders (probably in that order for me), but they can be too sweet at times, especially Strongbow and Hornsby's. Has anyone here tried Michelob's light cider? I feel like I would be committing some form of blasphemy if I bought it haha.

Apple_Jacker said:
Angry Orchard, Magners, Crispin, Strongbow, and Hornsby's are all very good ciders (probably in that order for me), but they can be too sweet at times, especially Strongbow and Hornsby's. Has anyone here tried Michelob's light cider? I feel like I would be committing some form of blasphemy if I bought it haha.

Hardcore was my favorite but its been discontinued and replaced by Angry Orchard, which is still pretty good. Woodchuck 802 is pretty good if you like a darker smoother cider

I would suggest making Edwort's Apfelwein and back sweetening it anywhere from 1.010 - 1.020 depending on how dry/sweet you want it.

It might not be a perfect clone, but dayum is it good. My SWMBO likes Angry Orchard as well, but prefers a back sweetened Apfelwein.

I just started almost 6 gallons of skeeter pee. I was planning on making a cider afterwards anyway, so perhaps it is time to try the Edworts Apfelwein I keep hearing about.

Maybe I'm too much of a newb but what does it mean to "back sweeten". And how do i do it? I have had EdWorts aplewein sitting in the fermentor for just over 3 weeks. I was going to give it another 2 before kegging it. My concern was that it'd be too dry for my gf/guests.

Back sweetening is adding sugar after fermentation. Non-fermentable sugars if you don't want to go for a carbonated cider. Or use fermentable sugar then pasteurize.

Working on Version 2 as I type. Version 1 was close to Angry Orchard Crisp, but I can do better. Will post a recipe when I have the clone.

my wife is a dry cider fan, that being said, I think I "too dried" mine, I'm going to give it a solid 8 months to do its do but in the mean time, the cider clone you used that ended up like AOCrisp would do nicely. I basically just used 5 gals or so of concentrate, a pound or so of honey and a package of champaigne yeast

Subscribing for recipe post when it comes.

I currently have a batch of cider still finishing. My recipe was simply:
5 gallons locally farmed pasteurized cider
1 vial WLP001 California Ale yeast (2 liter starter prepared using 50 oz of cider 24 hours before pitching)
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011
Fermented for 10 days @ 60F. Cold crashing @ 35F currently for a few days. Then will bottle just until carbonated and then heat in oven at 170F for 10-20 minutes to kill fermentation.

Apple_Jacker said:
Back sweetening is adding sugar after fermentation. Non-fermentable sugars if you don't want to go for a carbonated cider. Or use fermentable sugar then pasteurize.

Do you mind elaborating on what you mean by "after fermentation". I do plan to keg and carb my aplewein. Like bottle conditioning, won't adding sugar just be eaten by the leftover yeast to produce CO2. Are you adding a non-fermentable to sweeten or are you "killing" fermentation and then adding regular sugar?

Thanks.
Corey

This is my first of hopefully many attempts at aplewein/hard cider.

Do you mind elaborating on what you mean by "after fermentation". I do plan to keg and carb my aplewein. Like bottle conditioning, won't adding sugar just be eaten by the leftover yeast to produce CO2. Are you adding a non-fermentable to sweeten or are you "killing" fermentation and then adding regular sugar?

Thanks.
Corey

This is my first of hopefully many attempts at aplewein/hard cider.

After fermentation would just mean after the yeast has finished eating all the sugars it can (any fermentables). If you plan to keg and then carbonate naturally, you shouldn't add anything to kill the yeast. Just add some priming sugar to the bottom of the keg and rack.

However, if you want to back-sweeten, you will need to stop fermentation by adding something to it, then add your sugars (back-sweetening) and rack to the keg, then force carbonate. The alternative way to back-sweeten would be to add unfermentable sugars, so it just depends on how you want to do it.

Thanks for the reply. Of course I have more questions.

What are my options to end all fermentation so I can just add sugar to sweeten?

If I decide to add unfermentables instead f the previous option, what can/should I use? Splenda?

Thanks,
Corey

smittygouv30 said:
Thanks for the reply. Of course I have more questions.

What are my options to end all fermentation so I can just add sugar to sweeten?

If I decide to add unfermentables instead f the previous option, what can/should I use? Splenda?

Thanks,
Corey

I believe what I used in my pink lemonade to stop fermentation was some pottassium sorbate I got from my LHBS. But I heard that another thing should be added to the mix before that stuff or you will get bad flavors.

As far as unfermentables go, either splenda or stevia or some other artificial sugar that you like the taste of. You can also use lactose (milk sugar) as well. I would just experiment with different amounts on a small scale first so that you don't end up over-sweetening and making it undrinkable.

jammin said:
I would suggest making Edwort's Apfelwein and back sweetening it anywhere from 1.010 - 1.020 depending on how dry/sweet you want it.

It might not be a perfect clone, but dayum is it good. My SWMBO likes Angry Orchard as well, but prefers a back sweetened Apfelwein.

Mine too. Made the Apfelwein, then added upstatemike's caramel sauce and 2 cans of concentrate. Tasty stuff.

pedimac said:
Mine too. Made the Apfelwein, then added upstatemike's caramel sauce and 2 cans of concentrate. Tasty stuff.

Good Morning. I would like to hear how people are backsweetening edwort's apfelwein specifically as I have a batch at five weeks. It was just over 1% sg the other day so I'm thinking it may be ready to bottle soon. It was like apple rocket fuel! This is my first batch so I would appreciate some specific suggestions on how to backsweeten it for a newbie.

pedimac said:

By concentrate do you mean frozen concentrate from the supermarket or the concentrate in a can from home brew stores?

Vox said:
Good Morning. I would like to hear how people are backsweetening edwort's apfelwein specifically as I have a batch at five weeks. It was just over 1% sg the other day so I'm thinking it may be ready to bottle soon. It was like apple rocket fuel! This is my first batch so I would appreciate some specific suggestions on how to backsweeten it for a newbie.

Any links to backsweetening tips or instructions would be appreciated.

Any links to backsweetening tips or instructions would be appreciated.

I made a batch of Edworts apfelwein, then followed this recipe to sweeten, without the campden tablets. Yes, the concentrate I speak of is the frozen apple juice concentrate you buy from the grocery store.

Edwort mentions a few ways to backsweeten his recipe on the epic apfelwien thread. Read through it and you will get 40+ ideas on how to sweeten your drink.

Fun part of homebrewing - do something. Drink. If it doesnt work, do something different. Drink another. Keep notes so you don't repeat mistakes.

UpstateMike said:
Still working on it, I have version 2.0 still in the primary. Gimmee a week and I'll probably have something.

Been a week. Lol. I'm very interested in your recipe for my next batch.

my ginger cider is similar to Angry Orchards Ginger- kind of thrown together one day but it turned out welll:

3 gal. cheal store-bought apple juice
3 C. light brown sugar
3 tea bags- soaked for a day in primary and then fished out at the recommendation of someone on this fine forum...
3 oz. grated ginger root
1 C. raisins
about 4 TBS of lime juice - added on secondary after reading Graham's English Cider recipe
a cider yeast that I cannot remember the name of- I threw away the little bag and failed to write it down...
primary for 3-4 days and secondary for about two weeks
backsweetened with 1/2 a bag or Truvia per bottle- about 30 bottles- I used 15 of the little bags
primed with 1/3 C. light brown sugar

again- I just kind of threw this together- a mix of ideas from Graham's and a gingered cider recipe from Paul Corrently's The Art of Cidermaking (Gingered Honey Cider pg. 54)

Been a week. Lol. I'm very interested in your recipe for my next batch.
Real life has interrupted my plans, so KISS v2.0 has been on "set it and forget it" mode for a bit. But I did check step 1 two days ago, it was at SG 1.000, and getting very clear in the primary.

Step 2 may be tonight... :D

UpstateMike said:
Real life has interrupted my plans, so KISS v2.0 has been on "set it and forget it" mode for a bit. But I did check step 1 two days ago, it was at SG 1.000, and getting very clear in the primary.

Step 2 may be tonight... :D

Is KISS your second version of angry orchard ?

pedimac said:

How did this taste with only two cans of concentrate compared to the five recommended in the recipe?

Latest posts

Back