American style light lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronc5150

Reaction score
Hello. I started a batch of american style light lager 5 days ago and it is still bubbling quite a bit and seems a lot more "cloudy" than usual. I used 3 lbs of sugar this time instead of 5 cups like in the last. Is it just taking longer to ferment due to that? Is the cloudiness just due to that also? See pic:

image-2318257260.jpg

Did you aerate your wort well? (more oxygen at the start = more yeast activity?

Did your second batch cool down much faster than your first batch after you pitched your yeast? Microbe activity increases exponentially with temperature, which is why the colder your wort the longer it takes to become beer. (or did you pitch too hot, which can kill yeast cells and cause a delayed start?)

It could be either of those, though my guess would be that it has to do with temperature, because a cooler temperature would also explain why your beer is more cloudy.

It is fermenting at a warmer temperature actually. Ive done this same batch before but with only 2.2 lbs of sugar.

Back