question about making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, gonna start off with a simple Hefeweizen as my first batch and am using liquid Wyeast 3068. from what I've gathered I need to create a simple starter for this sucker.

I glanced at a few threads on HOW to make a starter but it didn't mention one thing. when using the 1/2 cup of dme to create the starter do you used that 1/2 cup from your (in my case) ingredient kit or do you just go out to the LHBS and grab a cup or so of dme to keep on hand for starters? (basically do I cannibalize my ingredient kit for the starter or is that measurement separate)

In addition to any kit. You want to make wort that is in the 1.040 OG range for the starter.

ok, cool, I 'll have to hit up the LHBS before my ingredient kit from Norther brewers comes in. seems pretty simple , 1/2 a cup of DME with about 2 cups of water and store in a growler after boiling the wort covered in foil or saran wrap

wormraper said:
ok, cool, I 'll have to hit up the LHBS before my ingredient kit from Norther brewers comes in. seems pretty simple , 1/2 a cup of DME with about 2 cups of water and store in a growler after boiling the wort covered in foil or saran wrap

You got it. Don't forget to pitch the yeast. ;-)

And swirl it around whenever you walk by it.

Back