Any Deviant Dale's IPA Fans Out There?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxBrewer

Reaction score
I recently got to take a tour of Oskar Blues and I was picking the tour guide's brain about some of the ingredients in Deviant Dale's IPA, (which is amazing if you haven't had it before.)

I learned at Oskar Blues they use exclusively California Ale yeast, and another interesting fact is that they ferment at 67 degrees. I have been reading a lot about fermenting at lower temperatures, but I think for my IPA's from now on, I'll use that yeast at that temp.

Lastly, he told me that in DD, they use only Columbus hops, or Zeus hops for dry hopping only, even though they are apparently identical.

So I have a recipe that I am going to make and see if I can get close. I also saw a lot of special roast and 2-row malt, so I assume those are involved in the beer. Just thought I'd share this for any other Deviant fans out there that wanna try to clone.

You had me a Deviant Dales....

Seriously awesome brew. The lingering bitter over the malt is just amazing. keep us updated on your progress.

/subscribed

It's a favorite of mine! Columbus/CTZ is probably my favorite flavor hop.

Let us know how it turns out.

Do you guys have any suggestions on any special roast in there? Or maybe it should just be 2-row and some crystal malt...

Maybe a handful of victory and a handful of C80? I haven't had it in awhile, but I recall it being a pretty deep red.

IIRC, I was told its 2-row, dark munich, and crystal and hopped with nugget, cascade & columbus. no nugget late, but maybe a lil cascade. double dry hopped with columbus

Man I had some and I thought it was awful. A bit too sweet, and very grassy, like chewing a hop. And I like pretty hoppy beers. For example I had just had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker and liked that very much. And I'm a big fan of 'regular' Dales, so I had high hopes, but I literally didn't finish the (16 oz) can of the Deviant.

IIRC, I was told its 2-row, dark munich, and crystal and hopped with nugget, cascade & columbus. no nugget late, but maybe a lil cascade. double dry hopped with columbus

Interesting.... Except the guy at the brewery told me it had ONLY columbus. Just a lot of it. I will try the dark munich though.

Man I had some and I thought it was awful. A bit too sweet, and very grassy, like chewing a hop. And I like pretty hoppy beers. For example I had just had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker and liked that very much. And I'm a big fan of 'regular' Dales, so I had high hopes, but I literally didn't finish the (16 oz) can of the Deviant.

Really?? I had the Gubna out of the tap at Oskar Blues and I thought it was really grassy... Too grassy. But the Deviant is just too good, IMO.

Interesting.... Except the guy at the brewery told me it had ONLY columbus. Just a lot of it. I will try the dark munich though.

maybe he meant only columbus in the dry hop or maybe the rep I talked to was mistaken. he did say they're usually pretty open about their recipes tho so I bet an email would get a useful response

I haven't had the original but this is a clone that is to be quite close. What about dry hopping this one?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/dales-pale-ale-69888/

Yeah, maybe that would be a good starting point... Maybe I'll dry hop that one some day, and maybe use a little more grain to bring the ABV up closer to DD's.

I suppose I could email them. I'm thinking I have an excuse to go back to the Oskar Blues brewery :D

I finally found a four-pack Friday. Needless to say, it didn't last long.

But what I noticed the most was its color. It was a copper red. It surprised me when I poured it into a glass for the first time. I thought it would be lighter. It definitely sets itself apart from other DIPAs on the market.

Regarding hops, all I know is that it is dry-hopped with Columbus. I don't believe it's solely brewed with Columbus hops, though. They usually state that pretty plainly in literature online (like with Gubna), but that's not the case with Deviant.

I emailed them about 3 weeks ago for some general direction to a clone and have heard nothing back...... 😔

does anyone else get onions and slight garlicky on the palate?
love this brew but i cant put my tongue on it, is it the Columbus im tasting?

Johnnyhitch1 said:
does anyone else get onions and slight garlicky on the palate?
love this brew but i cant put my tongue on it, is it the Columbus im tasting?

Onion, garlic are usually attributed to Summit hops. Oskar Blues Gubna is and all Summit brew which is a love it, hate it beer depending on if you can taste the onion...

I'm not a summit/gubna fan but I love deviant and didn't get any summit flavor.

That said deviant tastes heavily Columbus to me, and that had a more spicy note to my pallete.

I am curious in hearing a recipe for this as well. I have a 7% ABV all columbus IPA at home and also 3 Deviant Dales left so I can try to compare them, but I am admittedly not an expert (yet) at pinpointing ingredients. My recipe was 2 row with crystal (10L & 40L) and columbus hops. I'll try to report back this weekend.

Has anyone came up with a recipe yet for the Deviant? One of my favorites for sure and would love to brew a batch if anybody wants to share a recipe!

Finally had one of these last night. I thought it was mighty good. I haven't brewed the regular Dale's recipe yet, but a clone of this could creep into the list.

I've been really busy with a car project lately... I wish somebody who knew what they were doing would come up with a good clone :D

I got Summit notes out of it as well..and of course tons of Columbus.

Reminded me of a 50 50 mix of Dales PA and Gubna, with Columbus dryhopped

I recently got to take a tour of Oskar Blues and I was picking the tour guide's brain about some of the ingredients in Deviant Dale's IPA, (which is amazing if you haven't had it before.)

I learned at Oskar Blues they use exclusively California Ale yeast, and another interesting fact is that they ferment at 67 degrees. I have been reading a lot about fermenting at lower temperatures, but I think for my IPA's from now on, I'll use that yeast at that temp.

Lastly, he told me that in DD, they use only Columbus hops, or Zeus hops for dry hopping only, even though they are apparently identical.

So I have a recipe that I am going to make and see if I can get close. I also saw a lot of special roast and 2-row malt, so I assume those are involved in the beer. Just thought I'd share this for any other Deviant fans out there that wanna try to clone.
So how did you recipe compare?
Can you post it if it is even similar?

I have not brewed this yet b/c of other brew club committments... But this is what I am thinking. The grist essentially takes the Dales clone and increases the OG/FG without adding additional crystal malts, frankly, b/c I don't think they added any more from the pale ale recipe after tasting both beers. As for hopping, we adjust those as well to account for the massive layering that is in that beer. Here ya go.

OG 1.072
FG 1.012
IBU 82
Mash 153 F

Fermentables
13 lbs American Two-row Pale
4 lbs Munich Munich Light
1 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lbs Crystal 20L

30 IBUs Northern Brewer (We stuck with NB at bittering b/c of the earthy/woody bitter hop flavor that seems to carry over in this beer
15 IBUs Cascade 25 (Could not get Centennial)
15 IBUs Columbus 10
7 IBUs Amarillo 10
7 IBUs Cascade 5
8 IBUs Columbus 5
1 oz Columbus Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 days

Wyeast 1056 fermented at 68.

No way this finishes at 1.012. It's too sweet and has way too much crystal. The hops are also going to be much more Columbus heavy.

No way this finishes at 1.012. It's too sweet and has way too much crystal. The hops are also going to be much more Columbus heavy.

I did the pale ale clone 2 months ago and got it to 1.012 with the same amount of crystals and mash temp. Using a good yeast starter with the 1056 work horse, and you can get the FG really low. Can't see the additional munich and 2 row sweetening this beer up that much.

I made a dank 5 gallon batch somewhat inspired by DD.

6lb Light DME
2lb Munich 10L
8oz 2row
8oz Victory
1lb C40
8oz C90
8oz Melanoidin

1oz Warrior @60
1oz Columbus @15
.5oz Simcoe @15
2oz Columbus @5

3oz Columbus DH
.5oz Simcoe DH

US-05

OG 1.071, FG 1.017, 89IBU, 14SRM

Turned out pretty good but not quite DD.

Hops were similar but needed to get even more extreme. I'm thinking for hops of switching the Warrior to Summit, Simcoe to either Centennial or Cascade...and possibly adding even more Columbus @15, maybe more DH

I'll also move more of the Crystal to C40 from the C90, perhaps more Munich, and switch the yeast to 1272 (it needed even more body)

Was it sweet and thin? I could see mashing higher or carapils for the extra body. FG > 20 sounds too sweet on crystal alone.

It didn't need any more sweetness, that why i was moving to the lighter crystal and I may cut a few ounces back.

As far as body/mouthfeel. I think I'm a little undercarbed, which would make a difference. I also get terrible efficiency with my mashes. I figure about 55-60 percent. So I definitely think another pound of Munich would help, escpecially if I go with 1272 which has less attenuation. A couple degrees in the mash is a good idea as well

I'm going to have to give it another taste. It's still fairly young. I just wish I had some more Deviant to taste next to it. Sounds like a roadtrip to WI is in order

I stumbled upon here after googling for a Deviant Dales IPA - I don't particularly like it and I'm trying to figure out what I don't like about it. I've had Dales Pale Ale and I love it, but I don't particularly care for this IPA and I want to pinpoint it. I hope its not columbus, because I just made an IPA with 4 oz of columbus...

Still haven't heard back but this one seems close as my memory recalls. Should hit the tap pretty quick. It's slightly lower in ABV at 6.58%, but thats a bonus for me!

I brewed it 4-6-13
Dry hopped 4-20-13
Kegged 4-28-13
Tapped 5-2-13

9081378164_019fa1da9b_b.jpg

Size: 10.0*gal
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 87.0%
Calories: 188.34*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.007 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.01 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.58% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 85.9 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
20*lb (88.4%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
1*lb (4.4%) Munich Malt - added during mash
.63*lb (2.8%) Caramel Malt 60L - added during mash
1*lb (4.4%) Honey Malt - added during mash
2*oz (15.4%) Columbus 12.9 (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*oz (7.7%) Columbus 12.9 (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20*m
2*oz (15.4%) Cascade 6.4 (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 10*m
3*oz (23.1%) Columbus 12.9 (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5*m
5*oz (38.5%) Cascade 6.4 (6.4%) - added dry to primary fermenter

Strike temp 166º, after transfer of water on temp dropped to 148º B4 adding grain. Removed 2.5 gallons from MT and back to BK and heated to 190º.
Mash temp after dough in 148.8º. Mash temp after 1 hour=147.8º. Vorlauf, drain 1st runs to bucket. 1st runs gravity= 1.092.
Add 4 gallons of 190º sparge water, stir, drain. 2nd runs. Add final 4 gallons, 3rd Runs. Added yeast to "A" halfway thru transfer, "B" after final transfer.

Back