double chocolate russian imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
I used a brewers best kit and added 4oz cocoa powder 1 cup dark brown sugar and 8 oz of cocoa nibs to last 15 min of boil. Its been in primary 17 days and I am about to transfer to secondary and add another 8oz of cocoa nibs I've soaked in vodka for a week. I don't have a kegging system any suggestions on aging before going to bottles?

Thanks I think I'm gonna do 3 minimum then bottles until end of May. I want to do the aging right after all the work I've put into it.

if you're planning on waiting till may to actually drink then i'd just leave it on the nibs in the secondary for the next 3 months then bottle and have a month or 2 to condition. aging in bulk (your secondary) will make the beer more consistent

it had something to do with how the beer was shipped to russian czars or something. they starting brewing it a certain strength to survive the travel to russia. I'm pretty sure that's the deal, kind of like how IPA came about. I think the imperial part has something to do with it going to russian royalty

I also read that at bottling I may need to add a package of yeast for carbonation since it set so long. Did u also do this?

yeah it's a good idea cuz a lot of the yeast will settle. I'd give you advice on how to do that but i either suck at it or have had bad luck so you're better off googling the proper procedure for doing that

What makes a "russian imperial" stout Russian? Or did someone just pick a nationality to go along w/imperial?

Imperial stout
Imperial stout, also known as "Russian imperial stout" or "imperial Russian stout," is a strong dark beer or stout in the style that was brewed in the 18th century by Thrale's brewery in London, England for export to the court of Catherine II of Russia.[8] In 1781 the brewery changed hands and the beer became known as Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout. When the brewery was taken over by Courage the beer was renamed Courage Imperial Russian Stout.[9] It has a high alcohol content - nine or ten percent abv is common

Imperial stout
Imperial stout, also known as "Russian imperial stout" or "imperial Russian stout," is a strong dark beer or stout in the style that was brewed in the 18th century by Thrale's brewery in London, England for export to the court of Catherine II of Russia.[8] In 1781 the brewery changed hands and the beer became known as Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout. When the brewery was taken over by Courage the beer was renamed Courage Imperial Russian Stout.[9] It has a high alcohol content - nine or ten percent abv is common

you're explanation sounds smarter than mine :D

Back