Technique for making and adding belgian candi sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
Some people say that the way for making candi sugar is to mix sugar with water and adding 1 tsp per sugar cup and boil it for 10-15min. After add this mix (cooled) to the fermenter once the activity goes down and also you can add to the boil in the brew kettle 15min boiling.

Another says that you can add table sugar without the process of inverting it,just to the end of boil.

Today i brew my first Tripel what i did was to mix sugar,water and lemon juice, i bringed to boil i turn of the heat and put on the fridge. After this i add the syrup 15min to the end of the boil. I did this because i saw no need to boil twice the mix of sugar,water and lemon juice because i wanted to get white candi sugar (rose-light not mahogany).

Maybe im wrong but maybe the Tripel will be okay if some brewers add just table sugar to the end of the boil with no lemon juice.

Do you see okay this technique ?

You don't need to invert it. Adding to the boil is easier and just as effective.

Well i have to make another time with normal sugar in the boil and compare the 2 brews maybe one will have more by products but it could be minimal

Back