Canning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was a thread about this maybe a week ago... check in the general beer board and troll around. There's a website that sells a canning machine w/ cans at like $.06 ea. From what I remember, the machine was kinda expensive.

$9000 for that
plus $1500 for

just might be worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats awesome. I wanna can my brew just so i can drink it out of my beer helmet... but im not about to drop that much coin on a canning system...

if you are that desperate to drink outta a beer helmet... why not just clean out a couple of spent cans and pour a beer in there...LOL...

Chrus said:
Thats awesome. I wanna can my brew just so i can drink it out of my beer helmet...
Thats about the only reason I can think of for canning to be honest - beer from cans ALWAYS tastes nasty. I've never had a beer from a can which didn't taste metallic. Bottles any day.

Well cans have a coating on the inside so the beer never touches the metal. More likely, canned beer always tastes like crap because they put crappy beer in there.

Guinness out of a can isnt bad....

sirsloop said:
Well cans have a coating on the inside so the beer never touches the metal. More likely, canned beer always tastes like crap because they put crappy beer in there.

Heineken in a can is better than it is out of the bottle and those mini-kegs are pretty good too.

rdwj said:
Heineken in a can is better than it is out of the bottle and those mini-kegs are pretty good too.

I would hazard a guess that this is because they use green bottles. No light into a can or mini keg!

cnbudz said:
The local micro brewery near me cans most of their beer and it tastes fine. I like cans in the summertime for parks/shows/etc that will let you have booze but not glass

I race sailboats in the summer. While I prefer bottled beer most of the time, that's one time when cans are a must.

racing sailboats and drinking beers..

I'm having this fond memory of my dad peeing off the front of our sailboat, hitting a huge wave, him falling off and getting pegged in the leg by the keel....

sirsloop said:
Compared to what? I think it tastes better out of a bottle to be honest.I don't know if cans are slightly permeable or something.
Maybe I'm phsycologically biased - I've never seen any of the belgian beers coming in cans for example - I kind of figure that if the brewery doesn't care enough to bottle it, then the beer can't be that worth drinking. If the same brewery has bottles and cans (eg Heineken, Guinness) I'll take the bottles any day.

rdwj said:

Canned Heine tastes more like fresh heine. I really wish they'd quit with the distinctive green bottle. Real Heinecken (the kind sold in every bar in Amsterdam) is SOOOO much better.

cnbudz said:
Yeah, that's one of the first things I was taught about sailing. I think the lesson went port=left, starboard=right, bow=front of the boat, stern=where you take a leak:D

Lol.... I'm not arguing that fact... peeing off the bow in white caps was most likely alcohol induced :)

I too will buy bottles over cans any day...

Cheesefood said:
Canned Heine tastes more like fresh heine. I really wish they'd quit with the distinctive green bottle. Real Heinecken (the kind sold in every bar in Amsterdam) is SOOOO much better.

My wife and came back from a trip to Bonaire last month. I couldn't believe what a taste difference the Heine had down there. My wife was even drinking it everywhere we went, and she's a BMC drinker.

Local microbrew (Capital Brewery in Madison Wi) sells several of its staple beers in cans and bottles. Their reasoning is simple: you are not allowed to take bottles to public parks or beaches here. Many venues forbid selling glass containers for safety reasons as well. Cans lets them sell to people for those kinds of things.

I have taken both cans and bottles of the exact same beer from Capital and poured them into glasses. 4 regular beer drinkers, including 1 homebrewer, were unable to discern the difference betwen them in a blind taste test (you never poured your own beer and no one told who got what till later). Not hardly a scientific test but we've done it twice.

The first time we were getting it about 50/50 with a few times of good guessing running the numbers up. The 2nd time we instituted a policy of a $5 penatly for each wrong guess (encouraging a 'I don't know' answer) the number dropped to zero.

I don't like to drink directly from the can, but I don't think you can tell a difference if you pour it into a glass. I know kornkob's test isn't scientific as he said, but it has to mean something.

Back