Metallic Tasting Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
I have three kegs, and right now, two out of three of them have a strange metallicy taste in the foam. Just the foam, not the beer.

What could cause this? Is my CO2 bad? Infection? Oxygenation?

One is a hefeweizen, and the other is a Saison. The unaffected batch was a Pale Ale.

I need to keg my two hearted clone today, but I am scared to in case I maybe have bad CO2?

So I am currently carbing some water to see if this is on my brewing side or the kegging side.

I tried to track down some EDTA, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Just did some more thinking on this.

Since it's only in the foam, I am thinking it can't be happening during the brew process. I am also thinking it can't be the CO2, as a friend pointed out the beer is carbed and the CO2 is throughout it all.

So since it's only in the foam, I am thinking it might be coming from my beer lines and/or my faucets?

OK, I think I got it. Pasted from email with friend about this:

OK, I just did some more experimenting. It's OK to drink beer on a weekday, in the morning, when you're unemployed if it is for research and diagnostic purposes, right?

So what I think I am tasting are the phenols from higher fermentation temps. Which makes sense, because the hefe was done warm since my wife likes banana clove flavors in a wheat, and the saison was also done warm, as a siason should be.

And the Pale Ale was done cooler (around 60 degrees). That is the only non-commonality between these beers aside from the recipe. Same CO2, same beer lines, same faucets.

I am 99% sure that is what this is. I was reading that phenols can taste metallicy to inexperienced people. Will probably still take a bottle of each to the homebrew shop tomorrow to see what he thinks.

But I am going to keg as usual today.

Just tasted again to confirm, and after reading the description of phenol and high fermentation attributes, I think that is more what is going on here. The Saison is actually really good, and I can choke the hefe down/enlist wife for it. Not pitching either batch, that's for sure. It isn't THAT bad. lol

Back