Netduino temp sensor project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimox

Reaction score
I want to start a project that will allow me to get the temperature inside of my chest freezer that I use a fermentation chamber onto a server. I am a .NET developer so the netduino makes the most sense for me. This will be my first netduino project so I am still fairly new to it. My plan is to get a netduino plus running a website that will accept a request and return the current temp (probably in JSON). So my questions are:

1) What thermometer should I get?
2) If anyone is already doing this do you have the netduino outside of the chamber and the thermometer inside of it? If so what hardware is necessary to wire the thermometer to be a distance from the netduino and do you have the thermometer inside of any type of enclosure?
3) If you are using the netduino plus with the ethernet I have seen some people online say they have seen problems with the ethernet interfering with the precision of the thermometer. Have you seen that?

Any information at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Well I am interested to see what you get going. I am a .NET dev myself, but I have never messed with the netduino stuff. I'll have to see about doing some research on it though. I have a junk box I am running server 2008 R2 on now. I would love to be able to monitor the temps on my server.

That is actually good info, thanks. Since I am a software guy though the hardware is definitely the unknown variable for me! Due to time constraints it might take a little while to get started with this. But once I have anything to share I certainly will.

canyonbrewer, the Netduino is extremely simple to get started on. I spent a weekend hacking on it last year, and was able to proof out almost anything I would need. I think there is a sample project on the Netduino forums using the DS1820 which would be a good place to start IMO.

Back