Wheat Beer Recipe Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aljeffryes

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am planning on doing a wheat beer for my next batch. This is my first wheat and I have a couple of questions, here is my idea for the recipe.

6 lb. Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
3.3 lb. Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract
8 oz. Carapils specialty gains
1 oz. Saaz hops (60 min)
1 oz. Saaz (2 min)
2 grams Grains of Paradise (2 min)
Danstar Munich Dry Yeast

Leave in primary 7 to 10 days, transfer to secondary and add zest of 1 med lemon.

I guess my main question is... I was debating adding around .5 lbs of white wheat to my specialty grains, any thoughts? And if anyone has used grains of paradise, what is your opinion on the amount and time? Last question is, is adding lemon zest to secondary better than adding them to the boil? Thanks!

I have brewed a wheat beer few times with lime zest to the primary, not boil, and it came out really good. I used zest from 2 limes, carefully removing just the green skin leaving the white underneath behind to avoid a bitter taste to the beer, soaked in a cup of vodka for few minutes, then into primary along with yeast.
I also used seeds of paradise in another brew, 1g boiled for 15min if I remember correctly, and it didn't add anything to the beer.
You definetely need to crack the seeds before using, put then in a muslin bag and add to boil, perhaps 2g for 15min would give you some taste. Also, taste some before using it so you know what kind of taste to expect.
Last, I don't think that adding the white wheat grain to you recipe would do much, so I would skip that.

A few suggestions:

The Carapils is unnecessary IMO. If you're using it for head retention, that shouldn't be an issue if you carbonate your wheat beer to style. If you're using it for body, that shouldn't be an issue either using LME and no adjuncts.

It has been awhile since I have used wheat LME, but I remember it actually being 50/50 wheat/barley or maybe 60/40. If you want the wheat character, I would just use wheat LME and skip the pilsen LME.

You might consider using a liquid yeast if you're going for a weizen or weissbier. Most of the few quality extract beers I made were hefeweizens; a good liquid yeast will do all the work in that beer if you treat it right.

Thanks everyones comments have been very helpful. Im basically shooting for a sam adams summer ale clone. I really want a nice golden haze to the beer, does anyone think the 3.3 lbs pilsen LME will affect this? I have seen wheat beers that look like a budwieser, not what I am going for. So I guess what I trying to say is, the reason I added the white wheat malt was in hope for some good color?

For some color you'll want maybe a half pound of crystal 60 instead. It'll give just a twinge of orangeness but will still be about as dry as Sam Summer.

for the haze, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of regular wheat flour to the last 5min of boil. I heard that this will make your beer cloudy no matter what.

Sorry for the late thank you but thanks everyone! My newbie brewing mind has been throwing around this wheat beer idea and this is my new recipe, any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

8lbs Wheat Liquid malt extract (60% German White Wheat and 40% German Moravian two-row barley)
.5 lbs carapils
.25 lbs honey malt
1 oz Hallertauer hops
3lbs fresh cherries
Zest of 1 small lemon
So my plan is to make a nice summer ale, I am going to steep grains for 20-30 min at 155 deg. Let it work its magic in the primary and then rack beer onto lemon zest and cherries (frozen and macerated) and let sit for a couple of weeks. I am hoping the honey malt gives a little bit of sweetness (I mean a little!) and the carapils seems like a popular grain for body. Thanks in advance!!

Back