Brewing Tool - Need Ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBo

Reaction score
Hello,
Me and my Homebrew friends decided to create a Brewingtool (of course it's going to be freeware).

Anyway these are the functions it will support:
- Predicting Beer Color
- Hop Utilization
- Bitterness Calculator
- Yeast Starter Recipe Calculator
- Priming Calculator
- (Predicted) Alcohol by Volume / Weight
- Mash Efficiency
- Predicted Gravity

After about 2 days of programming we got the first function done:

If you got Ideas (like different functions etc..) or Questions please post them here, thanks! :mug:
We still haven't figured out a name for the tool! So please post Ideas for a name as well!

See what the other brewing soft ware programs are offering. Copy them, but then you may put them out of business, lol. Iv already dropped $25 bucks for Beer Smith, and I love that program.

For us extract brewers, please put in a bitterness calculation for smaller boils (3-4 gallons) in all of the common types.

thanks

One thing that none of the other ones do is to allow you to put ingredients together, and then the calculator tells you which style (or styles) you are approximating...as opposed to we telling the software what style we are trying to make, and it telling us if we are in the right range or not...

A lot of New brewers have posted questions asking whether or not any of the software does that, so evidently that is a desirable feature for some folks.

I love this... it might give you some ideas...

http://www.mullerbrau.com/Brewers Formulary 24x36.jpg

Now if you could create a program that allows me to taste my beer before I brew it, then you'll definitely have something!!!!

Otherwise, revvy's suggestion is good. It might be difficult to implement, but it'd be great if you could create a "fudge factor" into it... so if someone is a little too dark for an IPA, but closer to an IPA than an Imperial Stout, then the program would spit out something that tells the brewer they are like "Like an IPA, but darker and maltier" or some such.

Back