Citra hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about cascade and amarillo for good citrus hops, but not much on citra hops? I am thinking of making a blonde with cascade and citra, and want to know if anyone can vouch for the taste in citra hops? I am thinking of going with cascade for 60 mins and citra for 5.

I loveeee Citra hops. They are high AA (mine are 14.5), so a little goes a long way. I think they are good as a falvoring hop, but they are probably my favorite as an aroma hop.

Their taste is VERY citrusy, a whole brighter shade up compared to cascade and amarillo. Very lemon-lime with a touch of mango notes.

I vouch. Get some, they are unlike anything else out there.

I would use them for bittering but I think it will be way too much for a blonde ale. On Beersmith, it gets me an ibu amount of 46 for 1 ounce at 60 minutes, and I want to keep it around 25 ibu's.

Dont waste your Citra on bittering!! Find another hop for bittering, preferably something clean and neutral in flavors to let the Citra come through. Maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of warrior or magnum. Even if you run a bit high on the IBU's you can just change from a blonde to an APA in beersmith. Or if you are set ona blonde, use the Cascade for bittering.

If you are using Citra(you are going to love it to bits!) then I think you would do well to bitter with Northern Brewer.

I just finished a keg of APA that I dry hoped with Citra ( .5oz in 5 gal). The citrus aroma and flavor was great. I'm pretty sure I used chinook for bittering and flavoring in the boil.

I love citra. Probably my favorite aroma and flavor hop. I have done a few beers in which I add 1/2 oz per five min with twenty minutes left in the boil. I'll dig up my recipe if you'd like. Sometimes I get a melon and tropic fruit flavor along with the citrus. Smells great too.

Citra is more tropical than citrusy in nature. The Lychee notes are huge. The Grapefruit notes take a backseat. It's a great hop when combined with something citrusy, oily, and floral like Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial. I don't like it on it's own however since it can be too fruity/ juicy/one note.

Citra is more tropical than citrusy in nature. The Lychee notes are huge. The Grapefruit notes take a backseat. It's a great hop when combined with something citrusy, oily, and floral like Amarillo, Cascade, or Centennial. I don't like it on it's own however since it can be too fruity/ juicy/one note.

Right on, agreed.

Bob, I think you've also said you like it late in the kettle or flameout; I'd agree with this. I don't dry hop with it anymore, at least not in large amounts, because it comes through too strong. But late in the kettle it's perfect, combined with a different dry hop.

One of my favorite, first time 1.072 OG IPA was bittered with Columbus to 44 IBUs with equal 10/0/DH additions of Amarillo & Citra. Even my friends who also typically dislike juicy/fruity Citra forward IPAs loved it.

I tried the same recipe with equal amounts of Simcoe & Amarillo at 10/0/DH and it just wasn't as tasty. Grist for both beers was simple... mainly 2-row, with 8% red wheat, and 7% C-40.

I did use 1272 for the Simcoe version instead of 1056 for the Citra version. That may have been the culprit. But I still like Citra anywhere from 20-15-10-5-0-DH. You just have to have the right grist/yeast, know how much to use, and what hops pair exceedingly well with it.

I will agree however, in general, that straight Simcoe in the dryhop is more preferable to me than straight Citra.

My favorite beer in all the world is a play on NB Drydock Breakwater Pale Ale but I use nugget all the way through and dry hop with 1 oz citra per 5 gallon. Absolutely awesome beer. Kegs always kick incredibly fast.

Back