Jacksnap IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast British Ale (1098)
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Not enough room to say what I want to say
6 lbs Muntons Light DME
2 lbs Pale 2-row Breiss
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal 40L

2.5 oz Amarillo 8.5% AA 60 minutes Bittering
2.0 oz Cascade 5.5% AA 5 minutes Aroma
1.5 oz Amarillo 8.5 % AA Dry Hop 7 days

Steep grains in 1 gallon of 155F (68C) water for 30 minutes. Remove gains allow to drain back in to brew kettle. Add water to acheive 4 gallon boil volume. Bring to boil and add 3 lbs DME and 2.5 oz Amarillo hops. Boil for 45 minutes. Add 3 lbs DME. Boil 10 more minutes. Add 2 oz Cascade hops. Boil for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and begin cooling. When temperature is approximately 70F (21C) pour into fermenter and top off with water to 5 gallons. Mix and take OG reading. Pitch yeast and cover with lid and airlock assembly. Ferment for 14 days, adding 1.5 oz Amarillo hops after 7 days of fermentation. Rack to bottling bucket and bottle. Condition for 2 weeks.

This brew came out really good and is better than some commercial IPAs I have had. This opinion is a bit biased, but I tried to be as objective as possible and compared it side by side with a good commercial IPA (Boulder Brewing Co. Mojo IPA). If anyone brews this, let me know what you think of it.

An all grain option would be to use 10.3 lbs Pale 2-row and 1.75 lbs Crystal, assuming 75% efficiency.

Nuke, you are dead on! This is a great IPA! So far I am an extract-only brewer and this was my 9th-ever brew...my first that I ever kegged. I made one previous IPA in bottles and this one has more complexity. My IPA-drinking friends love it.

I followed the recipe, except used 7.5# Golden Light liquid extract which I was told was equivalent fermentables conversion from DME. I also had .5 oz extra Cascade hops laying around from recent brew so I added that to the dry hop as well.

OG 1.061
FG 1.016

I am running low..time to brew another IPA! Thanks for a great recipe!

Latest posts

Back