How to get a long, sweet finish in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be brewing up the Norther Brewer Wee Heavy kit very soon and will be adding grade-b maple syrup to the secondary; possibly some at flameout (after the boil) as well. I'm looking for very sweet and very mapley brew.

Would it be better to add it to the kettle, to the primary, or to the secondary to get a sweeter, more maple-forward brew?

I've heard that honey and/or maple syrup can sometimes contribute to a a "dry" finish in a beer. I want to be certain to get a sweet finish, and one as long as possible--not a dry one.

Any suggestions or experiences you can share?

Big thanks!
Nige

The easiest way would be adding at flameout. If adding to the secondary I would heat it up to pasteurize it before pitching. The purpose of adding it to the secondary would be to avoid having the primary fermentation scrubbing out aroma qualities but really don't know if that's a concern with maple syrup.

I know Danstar Windsor yeast will keep it sweet. I bought some for the first time a couple months ago and brewed my last 6 batches with it. What I don't know is how well it's character will go with your beer. No doubt it finishes sweet but I found it fruity, a little sour and yeasty.

If you are trying to preserve the sweetness of the adjunct that you are adding, it won't happen unless you kill the yeast.

If you want a sweet finish, like with SA Cherry Wheat, then you will have to add an artificial sweetener that the yeast will not feast upon.

I have tried adding honey and syrup with bad results. Both times it turned hoochy with a hot alcohol finish.

If you are trying to preserve the sweetness of the adjunct that you are adding, it won't happen unless you kill the yeast.

This is the truth. Of course, if you don't ferment the syrup at all, you don't need very much to impart the flavor and sweetness. Unfortunately I can't comment on the amount, but since the yeast is dead when you add it you can always sweeten to taste.

Maple is really nasty without some sweetness and, as mentioned, the sugars will ferment out. You'd have to backsweeten with lactose or another unfermentable sweetener.

Back