Carboy Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I decided to try the new carboy caps that were being talked about here. They worked pretty good for the siphoning part, but then I was goig to try to stick the airlock on them and I could not make it fit. Is there a trick to this?

jerly said:
I decided to try the new carboy caps that were being talked about here. They worked pretty good for the siphoning part, but then I was goig to try to stick the airlock on them and I could not make it fit. Is there a trick to this?

Try running the tip (where the airlock would go in) of the carboy cap under hot water to soften the plastic. The airlock should go in then.

I did that. The carboy cap is tapered a bit and when pushing the airlock onto it it makes the stem of the carboy cap buckle. It looks like the airlock would be to big to fit. I have three of the 3 piece airlocks and they all have the same stems on them.

I'm probably lacking a certain degree of finesse in getting it to fit.

jerly said:
I did that. The carboy cap is tapered a bit and when pushing the airlock onto it it makes the stem of the carboy cap buckle. It looks like the airlock would be to big to fit. I have three of the 3 piece airlocks and they all have the same stems on them.

I'm probably lacking a certain degree of finesse in getting it to fit.

It sounds like you are trying to make the stem of the airlock go outside of the nipple of cap. It goes on the inside of the middle nipple. How can they buckle if you are stretching the plastic to squeeze the airlock in?

I've occasionally gotten a carboy cap that is not cut properly and needed a little trimming (like 1mm or so) to shorten the stem to the point that the opening was larger

None of you are fit to teach kids about the birds and bees. Boiling water? Cutting it?

What ever happened to a little finesse? Maybe a bit of glycerine on the outside to help smoothe it in.

Cheesefood said:
None of you are fit to teach kids about the birds and bees. Boiling water? Cutting it?

What ever happened to a little finesse? Maybe a bit of glycerine on the outside to help smoothe it in.
:D

It is a finesse thing, though. That and determination. Once you get it and realize it's possible you just power through it.

I guess I got lucky? (or maybe finesse oozes from my pores?) The only time I ever stuck an airlock into the cap was when I wrote up the "how to siphon with a carboy cap" thread and I don't recall having any issues with it going in.

-walker

kornkob said:
I've occasionally gotten a carboy cap that is not cut properly and needed a little trimming (like 1mm or so) to shorten the stem to the point that the opening was larger

I think that might be my solution. I thought about cutting it before, but wanted to post here first in case I was completly missing something obvious.

I've only put bubblers in the carboy caps and have never had a problem... maybe there are smaller than the 3-piece air locks...

Jester

I actually have two of the caps. I looked at both and one of them needs to be cut down a bit. I tried the other one and had no problem putting the airlock in.

Finesse schminesse. Just force the bad boy in there. Sometime you need to work it a bit, working it from an angle...but eventially she, er it, will yield.:ban:

Back