Retirement Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okie, So After 24 years of Military Service I am Retiring at the end of the Summer (my official Orders are in:ban: ). I want to Brew up a "Retirement, So Long Navy Ale" to be served at my Retirement Party. I'm looking for something that will appeal to a wide range of consumer (so a stout or really Hoppy Pale is out)

It needs to be something memorable, but at the same time "crisp and medium bodied" And it needs to appeal to hardcore craft beer drinkers and those who think Budweiser is good stuff.
Any Ideas?

P.S. One of my coworkers does all grain so either extract or all grain recipies will work.

Of course there's really nothing that meets all of those criteria...

Maybe an ESB? Or a not too excessively hopped APA. Or a red ale?

I'd probably go with the ESB.

I'd go with a lower hopped APA. I have a lot of friends who are BMC-evangelists and really unadventurous in their beer drinking. While most of them will taste my homebrew . . . the only one they really, really like is my lightly hopped pales. They "look" like BMC and they don't have excessively malty or toasty flavors.

The ESB would be an easy-drinking beer, though.

Make two . . . your craft beer friends will love one . . .and those other people can drink the other.

sonvolt said:
Make two . . . your craft beer friends will love one . . .and those other people can drink the other.

That's probably the best approach: since it's a summer event, maybe a kolsch or blonde ale or something for the BMC crowd and something special for the craft folks: a Wit or Saison would be a cool brew, or a big IPA.

First off, congrats!!!! I'm at 15 and doubting I'll make it to 20 with all my marbles!

I'd go with a brown ale. People might scoff at the color but once they try it they will be suprised.

Again, 24 years..WOW!:mug:

I played Army from '72-'80. I've played Army civilian since '81...that comes to 32 years (this coming June).

I have about 3.5 years left to go for 37 years. I'm hanging up the guns then and I'll only be 55. Yes, I started at 17. :rockin:

Congrats! Navy, huh? I would think...salty....(just kidding!)

Congrats,
I get to retire in Dec after 28yrs in the airline industry(still have to find another job though). How about a steam like maybe an Anchor steam clone, I did an extract version years ago for my sister-in-laws wedding and it was a real hit..

A brown or mild with low AA english hops (fuggles, EKG, etc.)

I did five in the Navy and no way would I have been sane after twenty!

I'd second doing a Steam. I just did one and the jury is still out, but I think it'll be good.

I think a Steam / California Common would appeal to the widest range of folks, yet the history of the style would make it 'special'. And it would be a damn site better than Bud!

Congrats on retirement. I've got 9 in now (USAF!), so a while yet to go before I retire.

I think a good amber or brown mildly hopped will appeal to the most people. The BMC crowd will be really suprised at how good it is, and your craft buddies will already appreciate that it'll be good before they even try it.

Cheers!

More congrats on the retirement, I've got 13 to go in the Army (if the Missus doesn't kneecap me before then)

Maybe an Irish Red, play it off like it's Killians until they drink it, then tell them... Works with little kids who don't want to try something new, and ya never know, you might get a few converts.

david_42 said:
A brown or mild with low AA english hops (fuggles, EKG, etc.)

I did five in the Navy and no way would I have been sane after twenty!

Did I claim to be sane? I just had the timing that every time I was going to get out they upped the Aviation bonus.. after a while it was like "**** may as well stay for the pension"

BAH post this on the other site so I can call you all sorts of names.

You now have ZERO reason not to pop up and do some SERIOUS drinking. Give me a heads up and I'll make some trades and we can put our livers thourgh some serious hurting.

And just for you, something I have been trying to get myself out of the habit of (atleast until Vanguard comes out)

:ban: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT:ban:
Your 24 years WTFPWNZORS my gimp @55 5 years
I feel like such a F'ing noob​

(I know a few of you will know WTF that means)

budbo said:
Hokie going with a brown and a light hopped APA recipies?

I think both would be superb to serve at your own retirement party. I mean, not to be egomaniacal about it but it's YOUR party. You've done 24 years "by the book" and in my mind by God, it's your turn to call it. If someone doesn't like either, they'll find something to suit their taste. I'm betting tho, you're going to get phone calls in the days after saying, "so tell me about this beer you brewed"...

Congrats! My step dad retired 20 yrs Army and still works closely with them to this day. My sincerest wishes to you in the future, and the deepest Thanks a civvy can give to you, and to ALL of you on this board who serve. It may not get mentioned a lot, but man, it is DEEPLY appreciated in THIS house.

Thank You!

Jeff (Ize)

I like the ESB idea. Being ex-Army myself I get the interesting play on words as well, since when I finally got out I was definitely Extra Special Bitter!

Congrats on your up in comming retirement! Fair winds and following seas to ya! I did 22 years myself shipmate, been civil service for the Navy since. I am in charge of the parties, both food and drink seems the most popular commercial brews in New England are Bud Lite (ewwww), Bass Ale, and Killians Red. I tried a keg of Long Trail Ale last fall and that went pretty fast. Maybe these people are finally learning what good beer is?

Back