Sanitizing fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
A number of beer recipes include the use of fruit (typically wheat ales). Is there any risk of fruit causing some sort of infection or anything like that? Is there a way to sanitize fruit before using it in a beer recipe? Obviously if you were to add fruit to your boil you can kill off anything that might hurt the beer but the majority of recipes I've seen talk about just adding the fruit to the secondary when racking and some even just say to simply add the fruit (fresh or frozen) to the fermentor.

In my experience, the alcohol that is present after primary fermentation prevents infection. When I use fresh fruit, I take it to the produce section and tell them what I am doing with it. Then I ask if they could spray it down again with their commercial fruit sanitizer and bag it in a bag that was rinsed with sanitizer. My local grocery store has always helped my with this, and I have not had an infection in my fruit beers yet. There are more ways to skin this cat but that is what I do.

i do thaw freeze cycle to kill of MOST of the bacteria and whatever on the fruit. In my case of a rasberry beer which i just did, the fruit are prewashed and frozen. Some people use campden tablets to keep free of unwanted microbescampden tabs

i've never gone with fresh fruit...always frozen, unsweetened fruit.

there's also sanitary fruit puree's out there you can use too.

Back