Perlick faucet and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have 2 perlick stainless steel faucets. I have heard some "unofficial" information on the interweb about cider interacting with the stainess to produce an unpleasant sulphur aroma/taste due to the PH of the cider. I like to do a couple batches of caramel apple cider and skeeter pee in the fall. Does anyone serve those 2 particular recipies through stainless steel faucets, and are there any issues? :mug:

I drank 3gal of dry cider through a Perlick this past winter and it was delicious until the last glass. I actually need to make more now that I think about it...

I have 2 perlick stainless steel faucets. I have heard some "unofficial" information on the interweb about cider interacting with the stainess to produce an unpleasant sulphur aroma/taste due to the PH of the cider.[...]

That only applies to the flow control version - the 650SS.
It does not apply to the non-flow control 630SS or the "creamer" 680SS.

I haven't seen any words as to whether it also applies to the 690SS (flow control plus creamer) or not...

Cheers!

ps: flow control plus creamer? Seriously?

ok, so if I want a tap with cider or skeeter pee, the safe thing to do is swap out for the non flow control faucet before I tap those kegs. Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

I have been running Apfelwin through a dedicated 525SS with a SS shank for 3-4 years now with no noticeable anything. Heck, I ferment in an old Sankey 1/2 keg which is all stainless. Most commercial cider is brewed in stainless fermenters too. I dont really see how a flow control would affect it either as it is still (usually) the same quality stainless. Also, why would anyone put cider through a creamer?

[...]I dont really see how a flow control would affect it either as it is still (usually) the same quality stainless.

Apparently, the guts of the flow control mechanism are not, in fact, the same quality stainless steel (assuming said guts are even stainless steel at all).

Also, why would anyone put cider through a creamer?

Or anything carbonated. Any faucet will "cream" if cracked open a tiny bit...

Cheers!

I have 2 perlick stainless steel faucets. I have heard some "unofficial" information on the interweb about cider interacting with the stainess to produce an unpleasant sulphur aroma/taste due to the PH of the cider. I like to do a couple batches of caramel apple cider and skeeter pee in the fall. Does anyone serve those 2 particular recipies through stainless steel faucets, and are there any issues? :mug:

I believe you want a the SS to be 304 because 303 can cause off flavors in wine. Stainless Perlicks are 304.

Yes, but is it true that the flow control valve element inside is 303 (or something else)?

I didn't realize we were discussing the flow control ones. I wouldn't think that those would be 304, but you could email them to ask. I emailed them when I was trying to find out if my 575's were 304.

If you are certain the non flow control model is entirely the proper stainless, I'll just try the faucets I have now. If i experience the issue, its easy enough to pop over to the LHBS and buy a non flow control faucet to change out for cider.

At the top of the Q&A sheet for the 650SS on the AiH site:

Q: Why the warning around not recommending this faucet for low pH bevs? The Perlick site claims that the 650SS is WINEcertified. If it is SS, seems it should hold up to more acidic liquid?
Asked by: HeavyD - 6/12/2015

A: We have learned that this faucet does include stainless parts that do not work well with low pH beverages from Perlick. This was verified with Perlick after a customer was having issues with a sulphur smell from the faucet.

No such warnings on the other Perlick faucet pages.

And there's this HBT thread on this same issue...

Cheers!

If you are certain the non flow control model is entirely the proper stainless, I'll just try the faucets I have now. If i experience the issue, its easy enough to pop over to the LHBS and buy a non flow control faucet to change out for cider.

I have the 650ss on my kegerator and I am thinking about kegging a cider I made, I'm curious if you had any issues running cider through these faucets?

I have the 650ss on my kegerator and I am thinking about kegging a cider I made, I'm curious if you had any issues running cider through these faucets?

My first cider batch of the season is going in the keg in a week. I purchased a single faucet that is non flow control. Just to satisfy my curiosity I will leave the flow control tas on at the beginning and see if I taste any objectionable sulphur tastes. If so I'll post up and change out to the non flow model.

What about chrome plated Perlicks? All I have are 525pc's and have a cider ready to go on tap whenever I feel the desire.

What about chrome plated Perlicks? All I have are 525pc's and have a cider ready to go on tap whenever I feel the desire.

I don't think it has been an issue with chrome, this thread is about the 650ss stainless w/ flow control. There have been reports of a sulfur smell with lower PH beverages such as cider, wine, & sour beer. The smell is said to be associated with parts inside the faucet that have a different grade of SS that doesn't react well with low PH, some say even starsan will give the smell, although I have put starsan through mine and did not get any sulfur smell.

There is also a thread here on HBT where it has been said the smell is due to incorrectly shutting off the flow of the faucet. That is why I am curious about the OP's experience.

Cheers

yes I realize it's about the FC faucets. I thought I was told or read somewhere that chrome plated and sours and ciders are a no no. Then again 90% of the bars out there serve from chrome plated faucets.

yes I realize it's about the FC faucets. I thought I was told or read somewhere that chrome plated and sours and ciders are a no no. Then again 90% of the bars out there serve from chrome plated faucets.

I don't have chrome so I can't speak from experience but I have heard that it is fine and that you shouldn't I couldn't find much but here is a post about it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6540901&postcount=2 sorry it isn't much but it is all I could find..

From what I've read, you ideally want 304SS for cider and wine and even 303SS can cause off flavors. Of course, I've also read that you shouldn't use brass facuets at all for beer and I have never tasted a metalic off flavor.

I have a keg of cider and about to put another batch in this weekend and I have been running the 650ss for a couple months and have had no issues. :mug:

I've done a cider and a perry through my 650SS faucets. The perry has been there for almost a year (I'm a slow drinker), and I've never tasted any off-flavors.

I just set up three of these on my Keezer and all three of them have a real strong sulfur smell when i poor a beer.

I have tried taking them all apart and cleaning them with Oxyclean and skipping the StarSan. Still the same results.

Its pretty ridiculous that they would sell something like this for the money they charge.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? My beers are just IPA's and Pumpkin Beer, no sours or cider. It really frustrating.

Interesting. I have 14 of these on my coffin box, and they only had a noticeable sulfur smell when doing an extended soak in star san. Once in use, I haven't noticed sulfur at all on any of them.

Did you clean and sanitize them before you used them?

Have you used any other faucets on these lines?

Have you changed the lines, shanks, fittings, etc?

I have 2 flow control Perlicks in service right now. Just kicked a 5 gallon keg of pumpkin ale, no Sulphur. Running through a batch of Guinness stout and pecan dunkle, likewise no off flavors to speak of.

I just set up three of these on my Keezer and all three of them have a real strong sulfur smell when i poor a beer.

I have tried taking them all apart and cleaning them with Oxyclean and skipping the StarSan. Still the same results.

Its pretty ridiculous that they would sell something like this for the money they charge.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? My beers are just IPA's and Pumpkin Beer, no sours or cider. It really frustrating.

How are you closing them? It has been said that the sulfur smell is caused by turning off the faucet using the flow control instead of the tap handle.

If you are turning off the flow before turning off the faucet, that could be your problem.

How are you closing them? It has been said that the sulfur smell is caused by turning off the faucet using the flow control instead of the tap handle.

If you are turning off the flow before turning off the faucet, that could be your problem.

Great followup, I forgot about that!

I find that hard to believe considering the 650ss was released mid 2014.

I'm closing them with the tap handle not the flow c ontrol.

It seems to go away after I run half a glass or so through it. It will then return if it sits for awhile.

Its all new lines and equipment. I sanitized all equipment with starsan prior to using it. The smell started immediately after I first sanitized it. Everything stainless steel including the shank.

I do have some non flow control faucets. Maybe tomorrow I'll try hooking them up and letting them sit overnight and see if I get the same result.

That sounds like a good start. When you do the swap, take apart the flow control and see if you can notice anything. If anything, do a thorough cleaning and then sanitize with your normal routine.

To those of you with sulphur issues:

1. Question: anyone getting a sulphur smell that does NOT use Starsan?

2. To those that DO get a sulphur smell and DO use Starsan: does the sulphur go away if you rinse with clean water after the Starsan contact?

To those of you with sulphur issues:

1. Question: anyone getting a sulphur smell that does NOT use Starsan?

2. To those that DO get a sulphur smell and DO use Starsan: does the sulphur go away if you rinse with clean water after the Starsan contact?

When I first got them, i sprayed them down good with Starsan and the smell was there as soon as i poured the first beer.

I then took them apart and soaked them in a strong mix of oxyclean ( i thought it would have a higher PH??). Then thoroughly rinsed them with tap water, then put them back in with no Starsan.

Still have the same problem.

I am going to change 1 out to s standard faucet and see if i still have the issue.

sorry to resurrect this zombie thread, but I find it satisfying to report concrete results. I have run 3 full kegs of cider through Perlick flow control faucets with no objectionable flavors or odors. I turn the tap off with the handle, and I use Starsan without rinsing it off.

Latest posts

Back