rusty caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well, I bottled some edworts apfelwein with theses quart size mini-growlers I have been collecting (Saranac brewing). I capped them wih regular growler caps and wrapped some electrical tape around to insure a good seal. It worked great! Good carbonation. I am drinking one now.

Just one problem, which was not really a problem I suppose, as there was no effect to the flavor. The cap was rusty. I know why too. I dunked the growler caps in Iodophor solution and let them "air dry". Well, they did not really dry well enough especially since there is that cardboard insert which I believe helps to create a seal. So, I plan on going this route again, but, I would rather not have the rust. I suppose it did no harm but, if it can be avoided that would be better.

btw...

I am :drunk:

edit: um, yeah so my question is... How to sanitize growler caps without making them wet?

knights of Gambrinus said:
um. Won't that burn the cardboard insert?

I guess it might. Try it out on two or three caps and see (I've never actually done this before :D )

Other than liquid sanitizer, the only other sanitizing agents I can think of are heat and radiation.

You are looking to sanitize. So if 2 minutes or so in boiling water with a maximum temp of 212* F will sterilize an object. It seems to me that 250* F in an oven for 5 or 10 minutes should easily do the trick.

Another sanitizing agent is alcohol. There's no yeast that I know of that can live in anything with 25% alcohol or greater.

Back