Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monotaro looks awesome, all sorts of hardware! Great for us since a lot of brewing gear will be self-constructed. They even have stainless tri-clamps!

toseiyoki looks great too! It looks like you have to order the lids and seals as separate parts for those vials.

Cheers!

I haven't ordered from them, I have heard that he might have had a bit of trouble back in August but lately I have been a bit out of touch with the "offline" homebrewers. Maybe shoot a question into the "Japan Beer Times" forum if you still cant get ahold of him. That forum is manned by people who know the owner of Advanced personally and they might be able to let you know whats up.

Wort (immersion) chillers are easy to make, I recommend making one over buying one every time! However the first thing you should note is the length of any chiller if you buy it, the surface area and the speed which it chills depends on it. Its super easy, go buy a coil of small diameter copper pipe, (I got 10 meters it seems that is standard package size). Once you have the pipe in hand at the hardware store, go to the section where they sell tubing and attachments for garden hoses to faucets. Get enough tubing to run from your faucet to your pot, and another section from the pot to the drain. You will need 2-3 hose clamps to make sure the tubes stay on the copper pipe. Slowly bend the copper pipe into a coil leaving enough on the ends to go up and "gooseneck" over the top of the pot. You want the hoses attached a little distance from the pot and DEFINITELY on the outside of the pot! This prevents accidents, leaking cooling water into wort could contaminate it... Lots of tutorials on this site though, check em out :D

Another note if you are using a chiller for the first time, turn the water on SLOW, full blast through a small diameter hose will likely blow it off the pipe and you will have water get all up in the wort. I flared the ends of mine a bit so the copper hold the hoses a bit tighter. Yes I made that mistake one time ;)

Thanks for the great info. I will for sure do as you suggest. I actually ordered the immersion kit that Advanced Brewer sells for 6,000 yen. I went to the home center today to see if they had copper tubing but couldn't find it. I figure 6,000 for 10 meters and some of the other things they include is a fair price. Probably couldn't get it that cheap actually. Good point on the open the water slow, I have had the hose pop outside several times and would hate for that to happen on my wort. How did you flare your ends? I like that idea.

Yeah 6000 yen is alright, it comes with hoses to attach to the faucet right? Saves some time, I think the tubing I bought alone was more than 4000 yen so at most you might save a few hundred yen doing it yourself. I flare the ends a little bit by putting a pair of needle nose pliers in and twisting it around several times. You need to go with light pressure so you don't crack the tube. If you put too much flare on it, it will be difficult to get the hose back on. Softening the hose with hot water then stretching it a bit with the pliers should allow you to do that.

Quick question, which tubing do you guys recommend? I generally see 4 kinds at the Japanese hardware stores; clear vinyl, translucent pink vinyl, braided vinyl (clear), and stretchy rubber. The braided is the strongest and can take some pressure from water or air (not sure the psi rating), but the ends have exposed frayed braiding that I feel is a contamination risk so I only use it for the inlet of my chiller. The clear vinyl kinks easily but is the cheapest, and the rubber (silicone?) is very expensive but durable looking. I don't know if the pink is OK to use but I use it, will dyes leach into the beer?

The pink tubes, if I remember correctly, are for alcohols(not specifically ethanol, but "alcohols" as a chemistry term). Dunno exactly where they are used, maybe lawnmowers and the such? They are durable I suppose, but too little elasticity isn't good when you're trying to slip on copper tubing.

The clear vinyl is cheap, but you can't boil them to disinfect, and they supposedly degrade faster. Of course, they are cheap enough that you can replace them occasionally. I like them personally, they are the second best choice in my opinion.

The semi-transparent tubes are silicon. They are more expensive but they are durable and is chemically stable enough that you can boil them, put them in bleach and whatever. In my opinion, they have just about the right elasticity to use with metal tubes. Note that they are good at collecting dust, so keep them in covered when you're not going to be using it for a long time, or make sure you give it a good wash.

Yellow tubing is natural rubber and is out of question.

Dunno about the braided ones. Gardening use probably, I wouldn't bother with them.

Thanks, good to know about the pink tubing. I prefer it because it is less prone to kink and can take more pressure. I will someday want to keg and I will need to source pressure rated tubing at that time. None of these options are adequate although I wouldnt be surprised if the braided hose worked well for airlines.

What tubing you get will depend on what you will use it for. Running water to the chiller - garden hoses work fine (when I brew indoors, I find the washing machine quick release easy to tap into). Silicon tubing for hot wort is best, and will take some pressure as well if you get a pump. Some of the braided hose is food grade and will take higher temp and pressure too. I use some of that to connect brew pot to pump. Vinyl tubing is fine for transferring wort from fermentor to bottling or kegs. Different tubes for different jobs.

Yum yum. Gueuze. Cheeze/Leather on the nose and ripe lemons or grapefruit in flavour.

683796121.jpg

I wonder if there are any lambics made in Japan, commercial or homebrew.

Great thread! I heard about this thread from a facebook post on freezing yeast. I've been homebrewing in Japan, (Kashiwa in Chiba prefecture) for a few years now. Another great place for cheap supplies is Yahoo Auctions- that's where I was able to source my mashtun (cooler), a glass carboy, pumps, even some corney kegs and just started kegging with a chest-freezer/ 2tap set up last week.

@mpearce you live in Noda, which is practically in my back yard! we should meet up at a bar in Kashiwa sometime and talk shop!

Great thread! I heard about this thread from a facebook post on freezing yeast. I've been homebrewing in Japan, (Kashiwa in Chiba prefecture) for a few years now. Another great place for cheap supplies is Yahoo Auctions- that's where I was able to source my mashtun (cooler), a glass carboy, pumps, even some corney kegs and just started kegging with a chest-freezer/ 2tap set up last week.

@mpearce you live in Noda, which is practically in my back yard! we should meet up at a bar in Kashiwa sometime and talk shop!

Wow, awesome! Would love to hook up with you for a chat and a beer. Let me know when you would have some time and we can arrange something. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

The enthusiasm in this thread is awesome.

I hear that Corneys are used by both McDonald's and Coca-Cola. Know anyone? Although a little pricey, this site sells a tool to open Sankey-S kegs:

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~wyi/tarudume_folder/tarudume.html

Heads, and permanent-jockey box style servers can be had for relatively cheaply on Yahoo Auctions.

There are food-grade water bottles available for free at Advanced Brewing. They are used Munton's extract containers, 21 liters each. Easily cleaned out with a water bath, followed by baking soda or Oxiclean. 550 yen shipping for 3 per package. I use them for Apfelwein, secondaries, and occasionally primaries. I have 6, with 6 more on the way.

Bottles are also available in small size, although they are harder to come by. Not sure if they are 333 or 350 ml. If you know someone at a liquor shop or bar that will give you the case/bottles for the deposit fee, it's a good deal. IMO, the Asahi bottles seem to be the strongest.

Kegging- Japanese line will work for barbed foreign connections. With a little heat (boil) and elbow grease (push like hell), they go right on. Personally, I don't own any corneys, but have done this for picnic taps, etc.

I recently found out from some friends that Asahi sells malted barley and wheat! The selection is slim, but the prices are great!

Kampai!

Nice! This thread is really starting to pick up members in Japan! I will have to check out Yahoo Auctions I was wondering where I should start looking for corny kegs when I get to kegging.

Just started a Japan Group. Please join!

With shipping as dirt cheap as it is here, being country-wide isn't really an issue!

there are actually a lot more of us out there than you'd think.

Let's keep our common goal alive...good beer.

Thanks for making the group! I didn't realize there was that feature and had created a "club" as well. Maybe if enough people join the group we will have a reason for the club :) I want to have multiple threads for Japan so it doesn't just turn to randomness, but dont really know the best way to keep them together so to speak. Will the group do that? Maybe post a new thread to specifically announce the group, that should help people connect.

BTW I should make it to Kanda tomorrow night for a pint at Devilcraft. Taking my girlfriend to a concert and we will be crashing at a hotel nearby. If anyone wants to come drink with us I should be easy to spot - a white guy with dreads. Concert starts at 7:30 so might only make it to the bar shortly before 11.:mug:

I recently found out from some friends that Asahi sells malted barley and wheat! The selection is slim, but the prices are great!

:drunk: You have my full attention...:rockin:

A bit of google-fu brought me to their web page, but with no prices... have you contacted them before WhoZit? I'm almost out of base malt and their jouzouyou malt (which I imagine is a normal US style 2row) and might be interested in a bag if the price is right.

http://www.asahibeermalt.co.jp/product/malt-hop/

OppamBrendan, I work (most days) around a 15min walk from Devilcraft, and I think I may have seen you there before? :drunk: unfortunately tomorrow I have to work across town and have a late night date with a double IPA that needs brewing!:mug:

mpearce, great! I'll send you an email tomorrow

I assume they will only sell to other businesses (will have to check)
Technically we should also be able to start a company to buy from them, order in bulk, and "resell" to ourselves for zero profit (only expenses).
It is a shame since they have malt extracts and a fair selection of malts.

However, I do think that buying from advanced brewing and the like is better, because although bypassing domestic grain/homebrew suppliers will be cheaper for us, it doesn't help the japanese homebrewing community as a whole. Sakeland has great deals on bulk orders of grain, and since we have a good number of homebrewers in the kanto region, buying bulk together and splitting it up is IMO the best way.

There's an order form. I only have my cell phone on me now. I believe it was 4500 for 20-25 kg for base malt. A little bit more for wheat, and still a bit more for roast or their 2 varieties of crystal. I believe shipping is about 1000 yen per.

I can't take all the credit for this find. I was really happy when I found it and just wanted to spread the word. Personally I haven't ordered from them yet, but apparently it's pretty easy. I plan on getting base malt and wheat at the end of this month. I can't imagine buying 20kg of crystal 80 or roast, so my specialties still continue from AB.

As far as the group goes, I always wondered about it and just gave it a shot. I'm guessing anyone subscribed to the group will get notifications and such whenever somebody posts there. Might be a good place to organize group buys, too.

Here is a copy of the latest Beer Education email here in Japan. I am going to try to go to a couple of these but don't know which yet:

As always, the Fall is a busy season for beer events. Please note the following upcoming upcoming events.

Starting tomorrow until Sunday night is Ant N Bee's 2nd Anniversary party, which will have a ton of one-off special/rare beers. I went to the first Anniversary last year and it was a blast. It seems some of the special beers were already put out tonight.
http://ameblo.jp/roppongi-beerbar-antnbee/

Wed November 14th is a Shibuya Double Whammy -

The Silver City (Washington state) Japan Release Party at Faucets from 5pm. http://www.silvercitybrewery.com/brewery_website/index.htm
There will be eight beers from Silver City on tap, https://www.facebook.com/events/440601289321153/

Also in Shibuya, Craft Heads is kicking off its Strong Beer Festival with 12 beers, both domestic and imported, over 8% ABV on tap https://www.facebook.com/events/358850757542870/?suggestsessionid=6016262141352294997

Seems like a great night for a Shibuya Crawl.

Mark your calenders now for December 9th when Hop Revolution takes place in Shibuya. Numerous brewers/CEO are attending from overseas (http://www.hoprevolution.com/breweriesE.html).
The venue can hold up to 500 people. The day will be split into two sessions, first during the day time there will be sampling and seminars on Craft Beer. In the evening a DJ will perform and it will be much more of a party atmosphere.
http://www.hoprevolution.com/aboutE.html

This looks like a really top notch event with some top notch brewers attending.

I went to Goodbeer Faucets the other night for the first time. Great beer on tap. Something like 40 craft beers on tap.

PM me with your email address and I'll forward the order form. Looks like it's mainly fax and bank transfer.

Sakeland used to sell a bottle tree, but stock is unpredictable.

For me, I just went to the hardware store and bought one of those wooden racks that lay in front of shoe changing areas-I think they're called sunoko. It was 2-300 yen, very cheap. It's basically a few boards lined up with a nice big space between them, tacked together by some beams below that sit on the floor.

I cut out triangular notches in the boards along the open spaces between the boards, both sides of where a bottle would fit. I attached some legs with some scrap wood, and boom! Great drying rack.

I'll go take a pic this evening.

How much space does it take up? Looks good though. Interesting how living here brings out the McGyver in us all.

Space wasn't really an issue. I live in the countryside and have plenty of room. Cost was the biggest factor at the time.

I guess it would depend on how many bottles you needed. I made two, and each held 28 bottled I think. Didn't matter whether they were small, med, large, corona, whatever.

Also keep in mind that the plastic cases/carriers that the bottled come in have built-in drying racks. This worked for Asahi bottles. A case of 20 flipped over has perfect spots for 12 bottles, with the neck resting slightly above plastic parts below it, so no contact with sanitized areas of the bottles.

A couple of things.

1. Asahi Malt. They do sell to individuals. I live 30 minutes from there and very convenient! However, if you are having it shipped, price per kilo is not any different than getting from Take****a-san at Ohnishi Shoji in Tokyo, and he has a much wider selection. His bags are usually 25k, while Asahi is 20k. With Asahi, you send a fax with your desired number of bags, they fax back a mitsumori, you send the money. If you need that info, perhaps I can get it posted somehow to the group.

2. Bottle drying. Like whozit, I use the crates, but I bought a SS wire grid the same size as crate at the 100 yen store. Bottle necks fit right in. Easily purchased and stored.

3. Kegs. Getting Corny kegs from CocaCola is very very hit or miss. I know of only one person managing to score some. Easier would be to get chummy with local beer distrubutor, and see if they have any of the old style chuu hai kegs, which are corny. New ones are sankey, but the old ones pop up on Yahoo on occasion.

4. Bottles. Green Heartland bottles are easiest to clean, they only have a neck label. Lately, Costco has been selling Kirkland "craft" beer. These 12oz babys clean up well after soaking.

Cheers from Kansai!

Well got my materials today from Advanced Brewing (AB) for my wort chiller. Now just have to bend it to specs. Will probably try that tomorrow. I was very impressed with AB service. Right on time delivery no issues at all. They sent me an invoice and a statement when it would arrive. Happy with the price too. Their kit has everything I need except the hose and fitting for the sink. Looking forward to having it for my first brew at the end of the month.

Had a great night out, took girlfriend to Norah Jones Concert so drinking Yebisu through the park. After, we hoofed it across Chiyoda to Kanda and had a couple of pints at Devilcraft. SWMBO spent 2 blocks following about 10 feet behind me loudly calling "Sen En Massagey?" at me, through the crowded street.

Took a look at the Glassware store this morning in Kanda but it wasn't open, lots of cool stuff in there though. A little tip on finding the building, it has what appears to be a giant keg on top of it :)

Coming back to the house I ducked in and grabbed one of those wire grids at the 100 yen shop. Its exactly what I need, it stores a hell of a lot easier than a bottle tree would. I don't know if its going to support many bottles though, seems a bit flimsy. I might need a few of them together to do it.

Sounds like a good time. I like the wire idea as well. You can always build a saw horse or something like that. That you can collapse and store when not being used.

got my wort chiller made today. Turned out great! I am very happy with it. Looks good too. Now on to a brew so I can use the dang thing. Just a few more weeks until I get my brew kit...

Well got my materials today from Advanced Brewing (AB) for my wort chiller. Now just have to bend it to specs. Will probably try that tomorrow. I was very impressed with AB service. Right on time delivery no issues at all. They sent me an invoice and a statement when it would arrive. Happy with the price too. Their kit has everything I need except the hose and fitting for the sink. Looking forward to having it for my first brew at the end of the month.

AB is usually quite good and fast. I'm disappointed only by his grain selection. It's large, but he seems to be always out of some types of grain (ones I would consider essential), like he gave up keeping them in stock. 25k bags of specialty grain are not that expensive. Our group split up some caramel ones earlier this year, only slightly more than base malt (5000 a bag). And considering specialty grain will keep far longer than base, I don't mind have 4-5 kilos of 15, 40, 60 on hand. 5 kilos of black patent is another thing.

I like the way AB packages everything. I wonder if their shop is as spotless as it seems.

AB takes a while, that's the only downside. The service is great, I think. If something is on back order, he'll often send the rest of the order ahead of time and often throw in a yeast packet or something to make up for it.

I just received my list of prices (mitsumorisho) for grains from Asahi Beer Malt today.

"Brewing Malt (Canada)" : 20kg@3700yen
"Brewing Malt (Germany)" : 20kg@3740yen
"Ale Malt" : 20kg@3860yen
Munich Malt : 20kg@4040yen
"Caramel Malt C150" : 25kg@5250yen
"Caramel Malt C70" : 25kg@5250yen
"Clean Roast Malt" : 20kg@6620yen
Wheat Malt : 25kg@5125yen

Milled versions are about 200 yen more.

Malt Extract is 16016 yen, including shipping.

Hops are Nugget, Cascade, Saaz and Hallertau. They range from 2300 yen to 3600 yen, and they come in 2 bags of 10kg, or 8 bags of 2.5kg which cost 100 yen more.

FYI,

I got the list of products at Ohnishi, too. They don't seem to have a cool order form like Asahi, though. You'd need to contact a rep. Pretty easy, though. There's a little more of a variety, but they don't offer crushed grains for those of us that don't have a mill. Prices were similar. They seem to be a distributor for Weyermann Malting.

Regarding ABM's malts...

Munich Malt is fine, Clean Roast looks like Chocolate/Patent, Brewing Malt is US 2-Row and German 2-Row by the looks of it. But what is "Ale Malt"? Their website says it is produced in the UK, so would it be just "UK Pale Ale Malt" in general? I asked if they could name specific cultivars but they said they cannot reveal such details regarding their malts. But without any idea of what it consists of, I don't know which recipe to use. Bleh.

WhoZiT, that's good to know! Thanks :)

I think I'll order a bag of the ale malts, get me some fuggle, EKG or willamette and start making some SMaSHs...

Back