Brett strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any pros / cons ti mixing Brett C and Brett B in the same saison ? I will be co pitching both with wy3711 or I'm contemplating only pitching the combined Brett strains and going 100% wild with only Brett. FYI its a low hop saison. Thoughts ?

I see nothing wrong with it. I have a tendency to mix different strains and the turn out is good. Just recently I started making single brett strain beers to know the strains profile. Lately most of my funk beers have been all brett.

Good to know as I wanted the moderate funkiness of brett B but the nose and aroma of the Brett C I just didn't know if the two would clash too much

I'm all for the mix of Brett B & C in a saison. 3711, though, is super attenuative and usually doesn't leave much sugar for anything else. I've liked copitching brett w/ the dupont strain as it needs high temps and seems to crap out below 75F anyhow, it gives the brett a nice snack

What if I pitched the Brett first gave it a week or two then pitched the 3711 ?

If you're pitching out of the vial or smackpack nothing is going to happen that first week. Brett is slow moving. If you plan on making a starter and doing more of an all-brett beer give yourself several weeks for the starter to increase cell count before brewing. In that case you're probably not getting a ton of brett or saison flavor. All brett beers are fairly clean and will ferment most of the sugar, leaving very little for 3711.

If you're pitching out of the vial or smackpack nothing is going to happen that first week. Brett is slow moving. If you plan on making a starter and doing more of an all-brett beer give yourself several weeks for the starter to increase cell count before brewing. In that case you're probably not getting a ton of brett or saison flavor. All brett beers are fairly clean and will ferment most of the sugar, leaving very little for 3711.
Ok let me pose my question this way then.... what is the best method for making a saison that has a fair-moderate amount of brett funk ?

Perhaps a slightly higer mash temp ~ 152F. Pitch Dupont strain and in about 2 weeks when the Dupont stops to take a rest at around 1.025, rack into a secondary and pitch the 2 vials of Brett B+C. Maybe add .25 or less of American oak cubes?? That's what I would do. .

BrewNow said:
Perhaps a slightly higer mash temp ~ 152F. Pitch Dupont strain and in about 2 weeks when the Dupont stops to take a rest at around 1.025, rack into a secondary and pitch the 2 vials of Brett B+C. Maybe add .25 or less of American oak cubes?? That's what I would do. .

I'm sorry I should have posted that part I was going to mash high in the 154 range to create alot of dextrins that the 3711 would not eat. Therefore it would leave something for the Brett to eat.

I'm sorry I should have posted that part I was going to mash high in the 154 range to create alot of dextrins that the 3711 would not eat. Therefore it would leave something for the Brett to eat.

FYI, 3711 will take a beer mashed at 154 down to 1.004. That yeast pretty much honeybadgers dextrins.

dwarven_stout said:
FYI, 3711 will take a beer mashed at 154 down to 1.004. That yeast pretty much honeybadgers dextrins.

This was gonna be a variation of your saison Brett but mashed a bit higher and I was going add Brett B/C I was keeping the rest the same.

this.

if you want brett presence you may want to consider a different saison sacch strain. i've had 3711 crush a few beers, even had it take an apfelwein experiment down to 0.096 which was lower than the half fermented w/ champagne yeast

Yeah it sounds like wlp565 or wy3724 are my options in this or maybe even just using I think it's wlp568 ? The farmhouse ale strain that has Brett already in it and I'll co-pitch my Brett b and c so it has a bit of a higher cell count.

This was gonna be a variation of your saison Brett but mashed a bit higher and I was going add Brett B/C I was keeping the rest the same.

Yeah, I'd stick with the 565/3724 for that. You'll keep a few more gravity points for the brett to keep working on. Reminds me... I need to brew that again.

You could do a split batch. Brew 5 gals and split into two 3 gal fermentors. Pitch one with Brett B/C and the other with Sacc and then blend after fermenation is complete. Flavor-wise Brett when fermented by itself and not with sacc, ie: "not stressed", won't produce as much brett flavor. After blending the two together I'd add enough wort to top off the fermentor and let it ferment for a while. Just my 2 cents ..

FWIW I work at a commercial brewery that made a brett saison. We pitch a blend of about 50% 3724, 40% 3711, and 10% Brett. We normally mash in at 135 and do a quick ramp to 158 for a 20 min rest for the 3711 (our house yeast) and finish our beers around 1.006. We rested at 160 for the brett saison

Yeah it sounds like wlp565 or wy3724 are my options in this or maybe even just using I think it's wlp568 ? The farmhouse ale strain that has Brett already in it and I'll co-pitch my Brett b and c so it has a bit of a higher cell count.

I just made a saison with the farmhouse strain. Its been fermenting for 2 months now, and it tastes really good. I don't get a ton of funk yet, but there is definitely some good funk mixed with some nice fruitiness.

Ok here's my final mix ...... the farmhouse saison wlp670 pitched from a 1.3 liter starter as well as a additional vial of both Brett A and Brett C. good bad or indifferent I'll see what happens . Wish the yeasties luck and let the chips fall where they may.

Back