HOw to teach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I am going to teach my brother how to brew tomorow. He has helped me with a few all grains but he wants to start from the begining. Since i have the capacity to do full boils, should i start him out that way? I dont think he has the enthusiasm yet for doing an all grain so i am going to get him some extracts, what do you all think.

As a newbie, I'd rather you teach me on my equipment. Will he have a brew pot that he will be able to do a full boil? If not, stick to a partial brew. Good luck.

Definitely teach him at his interest level and his equipment level. Maybe just get an extract kit and do it with him verbatum. Only thing to empasise is sanitation... and patience.

Do it at his place with his stuff...make him buy it if he doesn't have it. That way he'll know what to do in the future and what he needs/should have for next brews.

Good Luck!

I'd do a half-boil, extract batch, so he can see a minimal equipment approach. Explain what the advantages of a full boil are, but keep the training simple.

thanx for the replies. I brew at my dads house so we will share most of the equipment, hes just going to get a fermenter. I think ill go with the half boil. The truth is i dont know if he willll reaaly be into the whole sanitation thing. Im doing this more as an excuse for increased capacity and some new equipment!

If you really want him to learn you should make him do all the work and do nothing but instruct and help very little. If you both brew in the same house that would be awesome because you could share all equiptment except fermentors. Really cuts down on the cost. As far as recipe I would start him out on extract partial boil. If he likes it maybe do something more difficult next time.

Back