How do I approach this? (family recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I went to a game night party and brought a Kona Long Board 6 pack as I just started homebrewing. It was a huge hit only wish I had gotten a 12 pack. Anyway one of the ladies there found out I was starting to homebrew and told me her father made some of the best homebrew and use to store it under the house to age and keep it cool. She told me stories of her father's great beers and how wonderful they tasted. She even asked if I would give her a six pack of brew and I said absolutely. Then she nearly caused me to pee may pants when she said one of my prize possession is my dad's recipe book sometimes I just wish I could brew this recipe or that one. I didn't ask for the book but really did want to ask to look at the book and make a copy. How do I get her to let me see that book her dad started brewing in the 1960's and well she claimed he made the best beer she has ever tasted. I really want to look at that book but don't want to offend. How do I go about this?

PS I have only met her twice

I would feel honored to share such an item if I had one. You should simply ask her if she would show you her dad's brew log.

Part of being an old fart is the privilege of passing along knowledge (often whether the recipient asked or not ;) )

Cheers!

She felt comfortable enough with the subject to ask you for free beer. I cannot imagine that she'd be offended that you asked to see her dad's brew records.

The absolute worst thing she can do is to say "no". Relax. Odds are that she'll be more than happy to accomodate you.

Come on man ask her if she would want to come over and brew one of the recipes then you will have a chance to look at the book

As day_tripper (EIDT: and everyone else now) said, just ask. What's the worst that could happen? She says no?

I would almost be worried about the recipes to be honest, and probably would only read them to see how things were done back then. A lot of brewing practices have changed a lot. I have a brewing book with the copyright date of 1978. Reading the book literally made me laugh hysterically, and the recipes in supplied with it would almost considered a joke today.

Doesn't sound like she's keeping any secrets. Probably doesn't know how valuable a brew log is to a homebrewer, just her dad's brew book. If her dad is still alive, (guessing maybe he isn't) meet him. Doesn't seem to be in a homebrewers blood to keep secrets.

If he has passed on then I'd ask her to have a look at the book.

How do you do that? You'll have to answer that question for yourself.

If she starts calling you daddy, I'd turn away...

Unless you are into that kind of stuff ;)

I so wanted to ask but it is a prized possessions and I have only met her twice. Super nice hates BMC she is retired and her dad is long gone. I just don't want her to feel like I am trying to get his recipes and claim them for myself (I would never do that) but she seems very guarded of the book. Tim

come to her with a recipe and ask if you might be able to see how her dad did it for a few insider secrets. either that or tell her that you found some unique ingredient, like Amber or Brown malt, which may have been more prevalent during her father's time, and you're just looking to see how it was best used. Then again, you could just ask her favorite style and if she'd be willing to share for a brew that would be entered into contests with her father listed as either head brewer or an assistant brewer.

You're thinking way to much into this. If you really want to be "cool" about it, offer to brew up one of his recipes with her. She'd probably enjoy getting in touch with her father's old hobby that he got so much enjoyment out of.

After I'm gone someday, I would be honored if someone were to brew up one of my old recipes. My grandfather used to brew beer. I have not been able to find any of his recipes but if I did, I would follow it to the "T" and he would be happy for it.

You're thinking way to much into this. If you really want to be "cool" about it, offer to brew up one of his recipes with her. She'd probably enjoy getting in touch with her father's old hobby that he got so much enjoyment out of.

This. If she doesn't want to brew with you (perhaps not as exciting a date for her as for you), tell her you'd be happy to make a batch for her... maybe you could try it together over dinner...

Back