NB surly bender question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwestcott

Reaction score
NB surly bender question

i'm looking at the northern brewer partial mash surly bender kit - has anyone ever revised the recipe or added to the recipe to end up with coffee bender ? and if so, how ?

one of the live chat guys at NB suggested cold press coffee and adding at bottling to taste. sounds reasonable enough and would allow 1/2 to be easily bottled as bender and 1/2 as coffee bender i suppose.

good enough, or other suggestions ?

cheers

I did exactly this a few months ago. Copied from an old HBT thread...

"I received this from Surly, which is use "1/8# per gallon coarse grind, 24-hr steep during post fermentation cold conditioning,force Carb and drink"

COFFEE: Gautemalan Finca Vista Hermosa Full City Roast by Coffee and Tea Ltd."

I racked the 5 gal into bottling bucket with priming sugar, then bottled half. Added cold pressed coffee to the remaining 2.5 gal and continued bottling. Both versions turned out great.

Coffee is added either during the boil or during fermentation. I would add a 1/4lb during the last 20 min of the boil. Adding Cold press coffee at bottling will water down the beer.

BobC said:
Coffee is added either during the boil or during fermentation. I would add a 1/4lb during the last 20 min of the boil. Adding Cold press coffee at bottling will water down the beer.

I disagree. Surly steeps their coffee and adds it late from everything I have heard. It doesn't take that much strong cold steeped coffee to get the flavor you need. Plus you are going to get fewer oils from the beans with the cold steep

To OP, I would cold steep some real good coffee and add it to bottling bucket or keg

flabyboy said:
To OP, I would cold steep some real good coffee and add it to bottling bucket or keg

sounds more like it.

a question -- how much cold press coffee would you suggest for 2 1/2 gallons ?

robwestcott said:
sounds more like it.

a question -- how much cold press coffee would you suggest for 2 1/2 gallons ?

Couldn't tell you for sure. Start small and taste...add more and taste. Can't imagine you would need more than a cup or two

I did exactly this a few months ago. Copied from an old HBT thread...
I racked the 5 gal into bottling bucket with priming sugar, then bottled half. Added cold pressed coffee to the remaining 2.5 gal and continued bottling. Both versions turned out great.

perhaps a dumb question, but...

i'm assuming that the protocol would be to add the cold press concentrate, correct ? not diluted cold press coffee.

I brewed the NB Surley Bender last month and added 16 oz cold pressed French Roast to the keg before I transferred. AMAZING! Great Coffee aroma and flavor up front and then the SUlry Bender goodness trickles in..... Never had an actual Bender but I'll do this one again, sooner than later.

It gets better every day, unfortunately it'll be gone before it gets to it's best :eek:

Latest posts

Back