Simcoe/amarillo/citra/magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
Just got some fresh hops today and I am taking sugestions on a nice ipa/iipa. Please help. Was thinking hopslam or something in that direction any ideas appreciated

You're making it easy for me with those hops!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/furry-pengiun-double-ipa-281567/

Sub Magnum for Warrior, they are interchangeable for bittering (you might need more than 3.25oz depending on the AA% though) Sub Amarillo for the Centennial, and sub magnum for the CTZ in the dry hop. That beer has won two medals at this point, with scores in the low-mid 40s.

If you want something closer to hop slam, use more Simcoe, less citra, add some honey malt to the grist, and use more two row for a higher OG.

Sounds like my black IIPA I just brewed again. Basic IIPA grain bill (with 1 lb dehusked carafa 3 in there) with 1 oz each simcoe and citra at 20, 1 oz each amaraillo and cascade at 15, 1 oz simcoe and citra at 10, 1 oz amarillo and cascade at 5, 1 oz of all 4 at flameout, bitter with 1 oz magnum, yields just over 100 IBUs.

I have the hops for your recipe. I just need to convert it to extract. Don't have the gear currently to to all grain and the people I know who do don't live ne'er me. Any ideas on the conversion

I'd have to do the math, but its super simple. Drop the Victory, up the Crystal 40 to 10oz, and sub the 2-row for light or extra light malt extract. I can punch it into a brew calculator, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow.

9.5lbs Light DME or 11.5lbs LME
10oz Crystal 40
1lb Dextrose

If you really wanted to, you could do a mini mash
1lb 2-row
8oz Victory
8oz Crystal 40
Steep at 150-155 for 30min
Then add 9lbs DME or 11lbs LME + 1lb dextrose

In a beer like this, both will be very close to the all-grain version. Just don't forget the dextrose, you'll need it to dry out the beer.

Thank you I'll post a pic and review once I do this recipe. Need to find the real one to compare. No sale in San Diego though

For some reason I had it in my head yours was a hopslam clone... Realizing it's not it makes no difference. I'm brewin yours next week and am pretty excited. My last two have really turned out good as far as I'm concerned. My two hearted clone is extreamly clear. I used wl San Diego super yeast for it and wow this stuff is amazing

Back