bottling bucket leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
my buckets around the spitgot's are leaking, i took them apart to clean, and not i cannot get a good seal where it wont leak, does anyone have any ideas as too how to stop the leaks?

SAME THINGS happening to be, not a significant leak, but one fixed.. i bottled my last two batches with a paper towl wrapped around it, but i reckon my next trip to the homebrew store i'll be picking one up

bed bath and beyond sells silicone baking sheets that can be used to make excellent food grade gaskets for your bottling bucket or anything else.

Tighten it as tight as snug you can equally get it off,thats what i end up doing. I learned that after doing primary my first few batches in my bottleing bucket.

even when i tighten the SH$T out of it... it still leaks, and as i plan to use it as a primary... i really dont want zero leaks.... cause a drip over 4-5 weeks is a lot of yummy beer wasted. i no longer buy them with spitgots.... but today i want too brew two batches and to accomplish that i will need to use my buckets with spitgots

A new gasket is in order. A plumbing supply will have a thicker and better gasket that will not leak.

even when i tighten the SH$T out of it... it still leaks, and as i plan to use it as a primary... i really dont want zero leaks.... cause a drip over 4-5 weeks is a lot of yummy beer wasted. i no longer buy them with spitgots.... but today i want too brew two batches and to accomplish that i will need to use my buckets with spitgots

you "really dont want zero leaks"......well then problem solved.....its already leaking.

I've noticed they leak if over tightened as well. If the gasket squeezes out from under the base,it'll leak. I have to tighten the Italian spigot just right to get it sealed. So not loose,but not to tight either.

I've noticed they leak if over tightened as well. If the gasket squeezes out from under the base,it'll leak. I have to tighten the Italian spigot just right to get it sealed. So not loose,but not to tight either.

+1. I always test mine with water before I sanitize it. That way I can play with it to seal it up before my precious brew can leak out.

When I switched out my gaskets to a thicker black plumbing house supplied gasket, all my leak problems ceased.

I was thinking about those hose gaskets myself for when they need replacing eventually. The barrel tap on the BB pale & the cooper's micro brew FV both have the black ones. The Italian spigots come with the "squishier" white ones. So they have to be tighten just to the point where they're "very snug". I then wait til I'm going to sanitize it to test the seal on the spigots. I just get used to how much to snug it down.

just returned from lowes... they had nothing that would work. so then i got to thinking about shower/plumbing silicone caulk... i know i wont be able to take it apart to clean... but if i caulk it up good, wont everything be sealed? thus not needing to really be taken apart to be cleaned? the only thing that would come into contact would be where the beer goes out, and i can clean that and run santatizer through that.... just an idea.... what do ya all think?

I think the solvents in the caulk would be a bad idea. Look in the plumbing department as well as the garden supply isles. They should have some the right size. I remember seeing them...

well maybe i will hold off, and take it back to my lhbs and see if they can fix it or just swap it out for a normal bucket... and not risk it. i guess i will stick to just one brew today. i was feeling froggy and was going to knock out two... since i started kegging and have converted a fridge to 3 taps.... my home brew dont last.... i think i am everyones best friends right now... haha

thanks for the help everyone!

just returned from lowes... they had nothing that would work. so then i got to thinking about shower/plumbing silicone caulk... i know i wont be able to take it apart to clean... but if i caulk it up good, wont everything be sealed? thus not needing to really be taken apart to be cleaned? the only thing that would come into contact would be where the beer goes out, and i can clean that and run santatizer through that.... just an idea.... what do ya all think?

i wouldn't do that.

When you disassembled it to clean did you put one gasket on the inside and one on the outside? That's what the normal way is but for the curved side on the bucket the right way is with two gaskets on the outside and none on the inside.

Back