Yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Are yeast vials or "wet yeast" comparable to making a starter or do you still want to make a starter? So far i have had no issues just letting them warm up to about 65-70 and pitching but would i get noticeable results from making a starter?

im dumb, did a quick search after posting... got the info i need...

It sounds like you got the answer, but I'll post the answer anyway for anyone else reading this thread.
Yes, you are likely to get better results with a starter. You don't necessarily need a starter to make good beer as long as you pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, but your fermentation will start faster if you have a starter, and you'll decrease the likeliness of getting an infection.

It sounds like you got the answer, but I'll post the answer anyway for anyone else reading this thread.
Yes, you are likely to get better results with a starter. You don't necessarily need a starter to make good beer as long as you pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, but your fermentation will start faster if you have a starter, and you'll decrease the likeliness of getting an infection.

...and you'll sleep better the first night, knowing fermentation will start rocking soon. And you'll be less inclined to count the bubbles in the airlock!

Back