Finding a Kit with Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krane

Reaction score
I'm looking for a start up kit for a friend of mine and I'm having trouble finding one that fits exactly what I think he'll want. My first convert! :rockin:

I want a kit with a non-bucket primary. Who doesn't like to watch their beer ferment? I personally use glass, but after reading a lot of threads, If I could do it again I'd do BB. Regardless of BB or Glass, if it's a primary, it needs it to be more than 5 gallons like most kits.

The rest of the necessary equipment comes standard basically. I'll let him use my burner/kettle for now so that's a low priority.

Any suggestions on where I can find this or a cheaper kit I can add on to? Any tips on finding deals for kits?

I'm not a kit fan. Out together a list for him and get him that instead. The kits always come with something I don't need or recommend to my friends.

I considered it but just assumed it's cheaper to do the kit and get rid of the item or two we don't need. I'll have to make a list and price it out.

Northern Brewer was running a sale on their Deluxe starter kit. You can get it with either glass carboys or BB's. I think it runs to the end of the month. There is a live chat on their site during the day where you could ask about the discount. I got it 2 months ago and it has almost everything needed to get started. You need a brew kettle and ingredient kit. They list what you need that is not supplied. I shopped around and thought, and still do, that it was the most complete for the price.

Austin homebrew is where I got my basic kit, with added accesories which you can choose or not. I use everything it came with, and although want a kegging system and a turkey fryer, comes with everything you need and will use over and over again. All I've added since is some sanitizing elements and a couple food grade buckets off of craigslist.

Build Your Own Brewing Equipment Kit (Plastic Secondary) $81.49
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=12738

Northern Brewer's deluxe starter kit is $159.99 and you don't have to figure out what you need and where to buy it. (No I do not have any affiliation with NB. I am just a satisfied customer.)
I have not checked out what is included in Austin Homebrew's kit so I cannot compare but $81.49 sounds good if it has everything.

You can change it to having glass primary in the options if you scroll down, costs a little bit more but for a 6.5 gallon glass carboy, and 5 gallon plastic carboy with extras shows as this:

Build Your Own Brewing Equipment Kit (Plastic Secondary) Build Your Own Brewing Equipment Kit (Plastic Secondary)
- Primary Fermenter 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy with Universal Stopper
5 gallon plastic carboy secondary fermenter.
Medium universal stopper
3-piece airlock
6 feet of Siphon Hose (3/8" Thin Wall)
Auto-Siphon (3/8")
Auto-Siphon Clamp (3/8")
Nylon grain bag
Triple scale hydrometer
Floating thermometer
21" stainless steel spoon
Cleanitizer
Ultimate Brewery Cleaner
An Illustrated Guide to Homebrewing
Toll-free technical support

$126.98

beer gadgets has a kit with a 6 gallon bet. I bought it. The siphon included sucked but overall not a bad deal. I priced the same stuff out at my lhbs and did save (mostly on the brew pot).

Get an ad from an online source and take it to your lhbs and see if they are willing to deal with you. If I was the owner, I would. Some profit is better than no profit.

Back