When to add watermelon to wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGingerelli

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have done several searches and gotten mixed ideas on when to add my watermelon to my wheat beer to make a watermelon wheat. Should I add it to the primary in chucks, or to the primary as juice or to the secondary.

I am thinking of adding it to the primary so fermentation will get back up and going again then when I transfer it to the secondary it will have time to clear. Any advice would be great. This is my first try at a fruit beer.

Cheers!!:mug:

I am thinking of adding it to the primary so fermentation will get back up and going again then when I transfer it to the secondary it will have time to clear. Any advice would be great. This is my first try at a fruit beer.

Cheers!!:mug:

That sounds good. It's what I typically do for fruit beers where I add actual chunks of fruit. When going the juice route, like when I did BM's Centennial Blonde with a bottle of POM juice, I just add it to primary once fermentation is about 3/4 of the way to FG, let that finish, settle, and rack to the keg.

Hope that helps!

Generally you want to add fruit after primary fermentation is done. You don't need to transfer it into another fermenter at any point unless you intend on yeast washing and don't want fruit to carry into the yeast. Wheat beers are normally cloudy so it wouldn't be necessary to go into secondary with or without the fruit.

So I added 5 cups of fresh squeezed watermelon juice to the primary last night and fermentation hasn't started to take off again like I've heard it does. Does it take some time or is my batch screwed? Thanks

Rgingerelli, did your yeast finally take off after adding the watermelon? it took mine only hours after adding the juice. Thanks for the update.

I do a pretty decent watermelon wheat--and I've always added straight juice right to the keg before serving. I usually add about 2 cups to a 5 gallon keg. Sometimes more. I don't let it ferment. However a watermelon lambic is on my short list of beer to do someday.

To OP--why would you want it to clear? A wheat should be kinda hazy, right? ;)

Dude said:
I do a pretty decent watermelon wheat--and I've always added straight juice right to the keg before serving. I usually add about 2 cups to a 5 gallon keg. Sometimes more. I don't let it ferment. However a watermelon lambic is on my short list of beer to do someday.

To OP--why would you want it to clear? A wheat should be kinda hazy, right? ;)

I add 6-12 cups fresh squeezed watermelon juice to the fermenter and let it ferment for 7 days at the tail end of primary fermentation. Once gravity readings are consistent it gets kegged for carbonation and then bottled once it's carbed I don't really let it clear (in a secondary) but with all the watermelon pieces it gets pretty hazy but once kegged and carbed and bottled it comes out just perfect for a wheat haze.

*rezzes old thread exactly one year to the date* :drunk:

Have any of you considered reducing the watermelon juice/puree with 160-170f temperatures? Will the flavor survive or is watermelon too volatile to heat?

I did one recently (still have 2 gallons in the keg). Put about 4 liters in at flame out and another liter when I kegged. It was... excessive. Jolly Rancher excessive. But no off flavors from putting in juice at flame out.

One thing I did learn was that if you juice (blender) and filter (I pushed mine through a fine mesh strainer with a rubber spatula) and put it in the fridge for a day or two, the solids from the juice will settle out.

Well, I took about 3/4 gallon of fresh squeezed watermelon juice, reduced it to about 1/4 gallon, and added it to secondary. Second ferment kicked off, I took a gravity reading and sampled as well. Little to no watermelon flavor... :mad:

Did I lose the flavor by reducing to a syrup? Should I have used a more flavorful watermelon? Any more help would be appreciated! :mug:

I would not hae reduced it. The flavor is a bit delicate. Plus, there really isn't much advantage to reduction.

Back