kegerater from antique fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilsons

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking into building a kegerator, probably no more then 2-3 taps. I would really like to build one from an older 56-60's fridge, like a kelvinator or something similiar but i have a couple reservations before i press forward so i was hoping to maybe find a couple of ya that have something similiar.

First of course is how reliable can these things be? I would be willing to put money into one to keep it running, but if im gonna have to rebuild it every six months with parts that are impossible to find then it might be better to rethink.

And of course, if anyone has any pics of something like this please pass em on! :mug:

Depending on size of the unit your going after you might be able to cannibalize a dorm fridge for the cooling components and keep the old school look with modernish tech.

I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you. :(

I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you. :(

Well now that would be perfect lol, exactly what im loooking for minus the 7 hours away part lol!

Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.

Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.

Well, lets see if you get any takers from the CL ad so you can get rid of it easily, if it doesnt go let me know and we can work something out, that sound good?

I found mine on craigslist by posting an ad that I was looking for an antique fridge for free or very cheap. Spent $20 on it.
Your concerns about reliability: the best thing to do is to turn it on and put a thermometer inside. While it is on, listen to the compressor to make sure it sounds normal. If it gets to temperature, you should be okay.
I took mine apart, and learned that the insulation in 1934 was corrugated cardboard, which harbored the old lady smell. I swapped that out for fiberglass, and it cools more efficiently now. The controller knob used to have to be on 11 of 12 to get cool enough, now it is set to 1.
I had to move the evaporator out of the way in order to fit 2 kegs. If you have to do that, be very careful not to create a leak and lose the refrigerant.
Here are some photos of before and after:

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Finishedkegerator.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

+1 on posting an "item wanted" ad on CL. I've had great sucess using that for other items. If you don't mind traveling a few hours to pick one up, utilize Searchtempest.com to search multiple Craigslist sites in your surrounding areas.

As far as reliability, these things seem to be pretty bullet proof. Like I said previously, 10 to purchase + maybe another 40 for paint and insulation. If it fails in a year or so I'm really not out that much.

Latest posts

Back