Wow the Money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspector13

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of kegging because, well, bottling is a drag. I find myself bottling yet another batch this morning, so I told my wife that Monday morning I'm on my way to Keg Connection for a setup. We started talking about what I have spent in the last 8 months scene I started this new hobby. I have accumulated all the basics to do 10 gallon batches plus, a fermenting chamber with temp controls, a stir plate with a bunch of yeast stuff, I have built a brew stand w/ 2 burners, RIMS w/ PID, pump, pots, lots of stainless stuff, and about 400 bottles w/bottling stuff. Now going today to buy a freezer (to be kreezer) and a kegging system Monday.

What is next???????????

I know...Relax Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew.

It is about that time.

Inspector13,
Check out Craigslist. You might be able to pick up a deal with a little bit of effort.

I picked up a 12.8 cu ft top loaded freezer ($85) and with the Johnson control ($60) converted it into my Kezzer. Then found someone who sold me a Co2 tank and regulator for $45. Having an old tap, some PVC pipe and a couple of other misc. things, made the tower ($20). Picked up a couple of Cornie kegs for $25 ea and a way we go.

So for $260 things worked out pretty good.

The cost savings could be sold to her as your time in hours bottling or your time to do her honey to do list.

Good luck.
BB

I was just telling one of the managers at work about how expensive this hobby is. You just have to pace yourself, make smart investments, and like the above posters - look for deals.

In the grand scheme of things.... This really is not all the expensive. I have about $1500 wrapped up in equipment and all. Once of my hobbies cost me $400/mo. To me, brewing is cheap.

I think a walk in cooler is in your future.

Used to have one in Ohio, sure could use one here in Florida.

We started talking about what I have spent in the last 8 months scene I started this new hobby. I have accumulated all the basics to do 10 gallon batches plus, a fermenting chamber with temp controls, a stir plate with a bunch of yeast stuff, I have built a brew stand w/ 2 burners, RIMS w/ PID, pump, pots, lots of stainless stuff, and about 400 bottles w/bottling stuff. Now going today to buy a freezer (to be kreezer) and a kegging system Monday.

Well, see... part of your problem was that you jumped in the deep end right away. This is both good and bad. Bad, because everything was bought recently and is fresh in your mind and noticible. Good, because lots of costs are now behind you.

I literally have no idea how much I have wrapped up in gear because I have, for the most part, taken small steps for the last 12 years which lets me spread the costs around as well as take my time and look for deals on things.

Of course, some steps are hard to keep small, so negotiations with SWMBO happen every now and then for things that are going to cost over $50, but those are hardly an issue. If she protests a $100 purchase I want to make, I just have to point out the hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds) of dollars worth of shoes she has and the negotiations quickly turn my way.

I make a lot of wine as well, so have invested in a couple of oak barrels, etc. which adds to my costs. But there are some synergies as most equipment is needed for both. I don't even want to think what an extra fridge, chest freezer, barrels, corneys, dozen or so carboys, four plastic primaries, CO2 system and misc other stuff have cost me. Let's see...probably just upward of $2,500 and I've likely spent that on beer & wine kits/ingredients in the last two years as well.

I think a walk in cooler is in your future.

Used to have one in Ohio, sure could use one here in Florida.

Don't think I haven't been thinking about it. I have been watching auctions for a small one and it could happen if the right deal comes along.

I don't think the SWMBO has a issue with it at all. I look for the deals and build the stuff I can. She like the fact it keeps my mind busy. She is a keeper.

Yep, I also Brew my own beer to save money :rolleyes: :D

This is funny because this is the argument I used to convince SWMBO that this was a good idea. (I knew better, of course:rolleyes:)

But I have easily spent 4 times as much in the given time as I would have otherwise:tank:.

Want to see Dollar Signs....Try looking into BrewHouses for a brew pub up around 50K to 100K.....Not sure how I'm gonna get the SWMBO to see my way on this.....

Back