Home network question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
ok, my home wireless is let up to assign IPs using DCHP. this normally has never been a problem but I recently was invited to a bit torrent site and I needed to set up port forwarding on my router to to make sure I'm connectable to other seeds/peers. the only problem is port forwarding has to be set up to a specific IP. so occasionally I'll get an IP ending in .102 or something instead of .100 what it's set up to forward to.

I know I can solve this problem by setting up static IP's to all the computers in my house using the network, but my question is this; if I set up static IP's for my home network, will it only be static on my home network? I take my laptop around a lot and can see it making problems for me if I have my computer set up for a static IP and try to connect to another network.

so basically, is DCHP network specific or or will I remain with a static IP no matter what network I connect to.

incase the info is relevant: running OSX and a linksys wireless router.

In your wireless router, there should be a setting to assign an IP via MAC-Address... that will give the same ip everytime.

The operating system/type of workstation you have won't matter.

Look for "Static DHCP" within your router's setup page. All the Linksys routers I've used include this feature. If not, you can likely install an alternate firmware that supports it.

Yup it works. You can still have DHCP enabled for people visiting your house with their own laptops but force the router to assign specific IPs for the MAC addresses on your own home based equipment. Then you can port forward those IPs.

Back