Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
Well I thought I was all set to go but found this. I was given a turkey frier that had been never used. I opened the box and found that the inside of the kettle was coated with a black substance that looks similar to teflon. Is this OK to use?
Also I have seen some references to using an enameled pot like the ones used in hot water bath canning. I would assume that you must be sure that the enamel was not chipped. Does anyone use these?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

I use the enamel canning pots and they work great. You do need to make sure that there are no chips, but if you are pretty careful with it, getting chips is unlikely.

It seems like most folks use stainless steel or aluminum, but I have had great success with the canning pots. They are far less expensive too so you can have some money to put elsewhere.

Good luck!

you should be ok but like lostspring sed. make sure there is no chips and obviously avoid metal contacting it that would casue scratches and chips. and if ur still unsure. boil some water in it for a while let it cool and taste the water. if it tastes good you should be all set. if it tastes funny u might wana stay away.

If it's aluminum, it may have been used to boil water. If so, then the black stuff is what you want on there. I'd wash it with a scrubby, but gently, then boil some more water to recoat it. Aluminum and Stainless make great pots, but if you use a porcelain pot, you have to make sure it isn't cracked or chipped.

That's why I waited for Giant Eagle to put the nested stock pot set on sale. There's,like 4-5 polished stainless steel stock pots with lids & steamer trays in there for $30! Even had 4 metal hangers if you didn't want the steamer tray resting on the ring around the bottom 4th of the pot.
That steamer tray will come in handy for BIAB partial extract brews! Not to mention,momma got 3-4 brand new shiny SS stock pots to play with. She's happy gettin something she's been wanting,I get something I need (namely,the 5G stock pot,the biggest one!). So everybody's happy!
Just like Gary Martin says,get her somethin,get you somethin with no complaining. Generally,anyway. But not me...at least most of the time. She loves my beer 100% more than BCB's (Big Corporate Brews)...kinda makes ya think of PCB's,doesn't it?(Petroleum Chemical Base) So I should be fine doing 3-3.5G brews...

Back