Where did the flavor go? I mean aroma.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterPete

Reaction score
Was really looking forward to trying Stone IPA and SV Hoptimum on my search for an ultimate hoppy beer and learning the flavors of different hops. (It's research, really)

After finding both rather un-flavorful, I went back to my goto beer of the month DFH 60 minute IPA. Wait no flavor either? Ahh, stupid cold. Guess its a good time to test the difference between flavors an aromas. Beers are just not the same without aromas.

If anyone has any suggestions on the ultimate hop-dum I would be glad to try. (My search is somewhat hindered by location, AZ)

Also has anyone tried the Sam Adams IPA Hop-ology?

Cheers

Any of those would be fine. You should just make it your goal to find the freshest stock available. I had a Southern Tier IPA (not the most mind blowing ipa) last year from a restaurant that had just opened days earlier. Because the keg was brand new, it was ridiculously aromatic. Huge fruity pineapple and tropical aroma. Normally ST is just a regular east coast ipa. I have the same experience with Flower Power. Okay from a bottle that has been on the shelf. Heaven from a fresh tap.

Google "fresh beer only" and you'll find a site that explains the dating codes for each brand.

Beers are just not the same without aromas.

The nose is just as important as your taste buds when it comes to picking up flavors. The worst is when your allergies act up right before going on a brewery tour or wine tasting.

Stone's Enjoy By IPAs have a bigger nose than their standard brews. It's hard to find a "stale" one since each version is shipped within a week of being bottled and cannot be found passed 30 or so days later. Although I have had stale kegs of the stuff and cases where the draft lines weren't properly cleaned. Bleh.

Check out Bell's Two-Hearted - haven't been disappointed yet.

The nose is just as important as your taste buds when it comes to picking up flavors. The worst is when your allergies act up right before going on a brewery tour or wine tasting.

It was pretty interesting after I realized what was going on. I had used a nose spray that I guess wiped out my smell. All the beers smelled like were musty alcohol. After focusing on more of what I was tasting and not what I was looking for I could really start appreciating some of the subtle notes other had mentioned in reviews.

Can't wait to try it again after the cold clears.

Back