"Trappist-style" Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieBrandBooze

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought this recipe from my LHBS and have had it in the fermenter for about 10 days. The instructions did not have any probable OG and FG readings (of course, I forgot to take an OG reading prior to pitching the yeast so I have no idea what it actually was) There was no bottling advice with respect to aging either. Since I have read that certain Belgian ales do well with age I thought maybe this one might too. I emailed my LHBS but haven't heard back so I'm turning to you guys for some guidance.

Based on the ingredients, what do you think the FG should be and what are your thoughts on aging this? Any additional suggestions are most welcome too!

Grains
Crystal Malt 40L .5 lbs
Wheat .33 lbs
Pale Malt .33 lbs
Chocolate Malt .25 lbs

Extracts
1qt Pale Malt Extract
.66qt Dark Malt Extract
.33qt Adjunct

Sugars
1 lb Brown Sugar

Hops
Bittering: 1oz Willamette Hops
Finishing: .33oz Willamette Hops, .33oz Hallertau Hops, Irish Moss
Dry Hops: .25oz Willamette Hops

Yeast
Trappist Ale (I know it was a White Labs liquid they gave me...probably WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast but I can't remember)

I'm used to seeing extract in lbs not qts, so your recipe throws me off a little. I made a Westmalle clone and the recipe said to age it for 6 months. Also don't let that Trappist yeast ferment too hot. It can make a really nasty beer.

wild guess OG: 040

<1/2 gallon of extract? normally you'd see 5 or 6#
<2# steeping grains wont jack up the OG however...
1# sugar will add some OG

That looks like a strange recipe

this recipe is identical to what i brewed, but with the addition of some hallertau in finishing. I hit an OG off 1.075 with mine. 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and i'll likely do 2-3 weeks after bottling.

edit: hmmm...yer in NJ. you must have gone to Brewers Apprentice and got the Englebretsen Trappist recipe. Good choice! The test samples i've had were damn fine. :)

edit: hmmm...yer in NJ. you must have gone to Brewers Apprentice and got the Englebretsen Trappist recipe. Good choice! The test samples i've had were damn fine. :)

Ha! You guessed it! It's the only LHBS near me and so far they've done me well.

Glad to hear your Englebretsen has so far been doing well. This is my first foray into Blegian ales and I didn't want to risk too much dough on a trippel for my first shot. I'm looking forward to the day I can sample mine..as are some of my impatient friends who want it done by next weekend...as new homebrewer I will have to show them the light: good beers come to those who wait...

Thanks for the help!

this recipe is identical to what i brewed, but with the addition of some hallertau in finishing. I hit an OG off 1.075 with mine. 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and i'll likely do 2-3 weeks after bottling.

I am glad to be proven wrong on this fine recipe! Trappiste Cheers!

Ha! You guessed it! It's the only LHBS near me and so far they've done me well.

Glad to hear your Englebretsen has so far been doing well. This is my first foray into Blegian ales and I didn't want to risk too much dough on a trippel for my first shot. I'm looking forward to the day I can sample mine..as are some of my impatient friends who want it done by next weekend...as new homebrewer I will have to show them the light: good beers come to those who wait...

Thanks for the help!
So far my visits there have been awesome. The one bigger lady in there was very helpful and didn't give any BS. The short smaller lady who works there was awesome and hooked me up with their mailing/invite list. The dude with the long hair is cool, but usually really busy. I think he must be the head brew dude. The younger skinny guy is decent too and seems to know beer. They seem to have EVERYTHING. I've been to Corrado's and Rubino's and both were crap by comparison. Stick with TBA. BTW...they're now closed on Wednesdays as well as Tuesdays, at least for the summer months until business picks up in the fall.

And damn i hear you on the impatient people. They're going to get free beer, but they complain. :eek:

I am glad to be proven wrong on this fine recipe! Trappiste Cheers!
Coincidence my good anemic! How's the blood?

Back