My First Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
Will see if i did this right
1)Transfer beer to Clean keg
2) set PSI 30 and shut gas off and then let gas out did this 3 time
3) then put in Frig and leave for 36 hour and set to 10 psi for drinking

is this about right, this is a wheat summer ale, its has been in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks, i have made this before but it was not kegged
Thanks Lenny

Filter said:
Will see if i did this right
1)Transfer beer to Clean and sanitized keg
2) set PSI 30 and purge the headspace in the keg 3 times
3) then put in Frig and leave for 36 hour at 30psi
4) turn off gas, and relieve pressure on the keg a couple times before settiing to 10 psi for drinking

I fixed it for you, don't know if this is what you meant, but there ya go!

Filter said:
yes, that was what i was trying to say:mug:

Its all good:mug:

One important point on that is to relieve the pressure on you keg a couple times before you set your regulator at 10psi, otherwise you could have beer flow back into your regulator, and that is no bueno.

Another thing you can do, and this is what I have started doing, when you rack into your keg, purge the head space as normal, set at 30psi, and shake the crap out of it until you stop hearing gas flowing from your tank. You can then set the keg aside and let it finish aging. When you are ready to tap it, put it directly in the fridge for 36hours (without hooking it back up to CO2) and let it chill for 36 hours or however long it takes to reach your serving temp. Then relieve pressure, and hook up at 10psi to serve!

Not sure if 30 psi for 36 hours would put in enough CO2 without shaking, but if it did, then your golden.

Basically as long as your purge the air, then hook up pressure until your at the point your happy with the carbonation your good to go.

Jonnio said:
Not sure if 30 psi for 36 hours would put in enough CO2 without shaking, but if it did, then your golden...

True. I do the 30PSI times 36 hours, but that is with a keg that is already chilled since I crash cool.

48 hours may be more like it with a warm keg to start.

Hello to all.

I'm new to the forum and kegging, but not to brewing. Been a home brewer for about 5 years now.

I forced carbed my first keg today. I found a method on a website called: Kegging 101.

Start by chilling the brew in the keg first. This helps to infuse the CO2 into the brew faster. Turn the gas up to 30psi and lay the keg across your knees. Now while counting slowing to 100 rock the keg back and forth. Don't do this for more than 15 minutes as it may over saturate the CO2 into the brew.

When you are finished reduce the psi to about 15 and return to the kegerator for a few hours. This will help stabilize the CO2 and continue the process. You will be able to start drinking in a matter of a hours without having to wait 1-3 days

I did this today was drinking a few hours later. It works!

Cheers!

Dan

Welcome Dan -- That method does work, but keep in mind a couple things. Green beer that is carbonated is still green (too early to drink) 2) If clarity matters to you then a couple hours after doing a shake based carb you will likely have cloudy beer.

I still do a shake carb every now and again when I don't care if I am drinking yeast or if I want to combine the secondary and the post carb rest on beers that will allow that, so its not a bad deal. You just have to keep in mind the drawbacks.

Let your beer age, you will not regret it. Connect to gas at 10-12 PSI at 40 degrees F (for different temps, see carb chart or software) and wait a week. I know, the first keg is really exciting, and you can't wait to drink it.... WAIT. Your beer only gets better!

Back