Multiple blow off tubes in same jar...issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed 3 different batches with 3 different yeast (US-05, WLP001, and WLP380). I attached blow off tubes to all three carboys and had all 3 tubes going to one jug of star-san.

One of the batches had a pretty heavy blow off and sent a lot of yeast into the jug of star-san. It then dawned on me that what if these yeast are able to make their way up the other blow off tubes into the other batches? Have I just contaminated my other batches with different strains of yeast?

Any thoughts on this?

I really doubt it, especially with the star san. But you might consider replacing the star san before the very active stage of fermentation finishes. I've done 2 blow offs into one jug with no problems. but didn't have trub go into jug.

Should be a non-issue

Agree also...I've had up to 3 actively fermenting brews into the same blow off at the same time.

Just be sure to have your blow off at the same or lower level than the carboy; also, if you cold crash you would be best served to change the blow off fluid just in case... Those instances are about the only time you'd ever have to worry about fluid being sucked back up. The yeast themselves can't make their way up the blow off tube...

Back