My Craft Beer Hit List!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer #68 - Rhizing Bines - Dogfish Head

Rough pour golden orange in body opens up into a huge off white head. With how carbonated this beer is its probably best to pour gently. Lacing recess slow leaving a nice lacing in the glass. Smell is not of your typical IPA, both in pungency and the aromatics you pick up which are more reminiscent of a Belgian or farmhouse yeast character. Wet grass, hay, faint banana. Flavor follows suit of the aroma. Wet grass and pine on the front palate. Wheat, crystal malt, and that Belgian like yeast character mid palate. Followed by more wheat and biscuit interwoven with citrus and pine notes. Faint heat comes and goes on the back of the tongue. Crisp but not dry and medium bodied. Overall if you were to hand me this beer in a pint glass, say drink it, then ask me what style it was. I would never consider it being a IIPA. I think their 60min IPA has a richer and more up front hop profile.

My Grade - C

image-2239479582.jpg

Beer #69 - Myrcenary IIPA - Odell

Thank you mcwilcr for sending me this amazing beer!!!

Golden straw color pour turns into a 2 finger head. Slightly hazy body and fantastic lacing. Aroma is pungent and intoxicating. Full of pineapple, mango, tropical fruit, soft background note of malt. Flavor is incredible with a lot going on. Melon and pineapple on the front palate that smoothly transitions into mango, really juicy citrusy flavors, and pineyness mid palate. Everything mellows into a wide range of citrus fruits in the finish. Tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, and a long lingering hint of lime. There is a very faint touch of heat in the back of the throat but the incredible hop profile masks it right over. The beer is crisp, fairly light bodied, and leaves the back of the tongue very dry. I might go as far as to say this is in competition for the best IPA I've ever had. This beer blew me away!!!

My Grade - A+

image-439609775.jpg

KeyWestBrewing said:
Beer #69 - Myrcenary IIPA - Odell

Thank you mcwilcr for sending me this amazing beer!!!

Golden straw color pour turns into a 2 finger head. Slightly hazy body and fantastic lacing. Aroma is pungent and intoxicating. Full of pineapple, mango, tropical fruit, soft background note of malt. Flavor is incredible with a lot going on. Melon and pineapple on the front palate that smoothly transitions into mango, really juicy citrusy flavors, and pineyness mid palate. Everything mellows into a wide range of citrus fruits in the finish. Tangerine, lemon, grapefruit, and a long lingering hint of lime. There is a very faint touch of heat in the back of the throat but the incredible hop profile masks it right over. The beer is crisp, fairly light bodied, and leaves the back of the tongue very dry. I might go as far as to say this is in competition for the best IPA I've ever had. This beer blew me away!!!

My Grade - A+

This is my favorite of all the beers I've had in the IPA/IIPA family! Glad you enjoyed it too.

You too busy with the MAW thread to keep up your drinking here or what man?? I'm surprised we haven't seem Heady Topper on here yet!

LoloMT7 said:
You too busy with the MAW thread to keep up your drinking here or what man?? I'm surprised we haven't seem Heady Topper on here yet!

Nah just been drinking a lot of homebrew so I can brew some more beer. I'll have to make up for it with a bunch of reviews the next few nights.

Beer #70 - Claymore Scotch Ale - Great Divide

Rough pour dark copper in body with amber hues turns into a tan colored head. Not much retention or lacing. Aroma is delicate with notes of earthiness, sweet maltiness, and coffee. Mild grassy hop character in the front palate fades into a sweet maltiness all the while maintaining a gentle underlying hint of coffee, nuttiness, and toffee. Faint bit of heat lingers in a long finish. Carbonation is pretty low and body is light-medium. Overall its a very mild flavored beer but has nice complexity to the flavor profile with all the subtle notes.

My Grade - B+

image-335093407.jpg

Beer #71 - The Sixth Glass Quad - Boulevard

Mahogany orange like color with a light orange and cream colored head. Very carbonated a light pour turned into half a glass of froth. Retention isn't very good though and leaves minimal lacing. Clarity is pretty hazy. Aroma is mild but with a nice complexity. An array of caramel malt, spiciness, Belgian yeast, a little banana and some dark fruit. On the first sip I immediately notice a fizzy sensation from the carbonation. It almost has a light bite to it. Flavor follows suit of the aroma. Wonderful upfront caramel malt sweetness, quickly followed by a slightly funky spicy and clove-like yeast character mid palate. Everything blends into one in a long crisp finish that leaves the middle to the back of the tongue very dry. As well there's a faint booziness in the background as well as this really subtle note that almost reminds me of vinegar that keeps gently coming and going. Body is full but again leaves the tongue very dry. Overall this beer is a great example of the style. If your into Belgians this beer is a must try.

My Grade - A+

image-331409033.jpg

Mmmmm Quad! I'm on a huge belgian kick lately and that sixth glass is definitely s good one. even better I my opinion is gulden draak 9000.

mcwilcr said:
Mmmmm Quad! I'm on a huge belgian kick lately and that sixth glass is definitely s good one. even better I my opinion is gulden draak 9000.

Never had one but if its better than that Sixth Glass I'd love to try it.

Beer #72 - Avalanche Amber - Breckenridge

Easy pour turns from a copper and amber body into a three finger white head with a yellow hue. Not much retention as the head quickly dissipates. Very bright clarity. Aroma is straightforward but nice. A blend of breadiness, caramel malt, some yeast and mild hoppiness in the background. Taste follows suit with the aroma. Light hop flavor overshadowed by sweet caramel malt and a touch of biscuit. Nothing fancy but very sessionable. Medium body and carbonation. Overall this beer doesnt really have a wow factor but what it does have is simple and enjoyable. Very solid session beer I feel would also be good for pairing with lunch.

My Grade - B

image-3007579986.jpg

Beer #73 - Winter Seasonal - Alaskan

Yea I'm bit late and I've been a bit off my game but a beer made with spruce tips is worthy of a review.
A rough pour gently opens up a golden orange body with a 2 finger off white head. Little bit of lacing is left in the glass as the was quickly fades. Surprisingly this beer has only a faint spruce aroma. What's is there is nice though accompanied by sweet caramel malt and a little bit of yeast character. Flavor is well balanced but fairly simple. Malty up front that transitions into a nice toasted bready flavor mid palate rounded out by some earthy hop character or possibly the spruce tips and some sweet spices in the finish. No heat or off flavors. Carbonation is fairly light and body is medium. Pretty sessionable but nothing amazing. Was really expecting more from the spruce tips.

My Grade - B

image-1224991626.jpg

Beer #74 - Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Peak Organic

Pours motor oil black and opens into a two finger dark caramel head. Solid retention and decent lacing. Aroma is of oak, vanilla, french roast coffee, and a touch of chocolate. Flavor is very complex. Dark fruits on the front palate that transitions into dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a mild nuttiness. The finish is more dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee with a faint hint of oaky vanilla that eventually settles into a lingering mocha note. Fairly low carbed and medium-full body. Quite impressed with the array of flavor is this beer. It all happens so fast and smooth its easy to miss some of the subtleties.

My Grade - A

image-784375833.jpg

Beer #75 - Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City

Dark copper with amber hues an easy pour opens a frothy 3 finger head that's light beige in color. Nice head retention that slowly fades leaving behind a sticky lacing. Very assertive ruby red grapefruit and tangerine tones in the aroma backed by caramel malt. A grapefruit tang jumps right out on the front palate evolving into a more juicy citrus profile mid palate accompanied by some caramel malt and a faint breadiness. I little bit of resinous earthy character joins the mix together with a strong citrus finish that's more tangerine than grapefruit. No heat or booziness, the 7.4%ABV is hidden incredibly well. Light-medium bodied with good crisp carbonation that leaves the tongue a bit dry. Overall extremely delicious and despite the alcohol content, a very sessionable beer.

My Grade - A+

image-134855147.jpg

Beer #76 - Last Chance IPA - Weyerbacher

Rough pour opens this straw yellow bodied brew into a 2-3 finger ivory head. Retention is pretty good with decent lacing. Aroma is earthy, slightly spicy, some orange, faint yeast character, and strongly backed by caramel malt. Taste on the front palate is malty with a bitter hop note and mild citrus flavor. The bitterness takes the lead in the mid palate becoming more earthy and reminiscent of pith though still backed by notes of slightly bready crystal malt. The hops drowned out the malt in the finish with an assertive bitterness interwoven with grapefruit. Body is light, good carbonation, no boozy heat. Overall not my style of IPA. Just too much bitterness and not enough good hop flavor to balance it out, its mostly just...bitter. The Double Simcoe is much better.

My Grade - B

image-782533870.jpg

Beer #77 - Guava Grove - Cigar City

Pour this one gently because this beer is bubbly!! It took me a few minutes to fill my pint glass and despite being so frothy theres little to no lacing. Body is golden orange with red hues and an off white head. Im immediately confronted by an aroma of funky clove and green apple acidic bite, typical of farmhouse style, that eases into juicy fresh guava. A lot of subtle notes and flavor transitions. The front palate is more of the funky clove found in the aroma with a bit of banana joining the mix. The funk and clove both get amped up a little bit in the mid palate supported by an underlying flavor of guava. The finish introduces a little pepper and a nice tangy note reminiscent of the clean green apple tartness in the aroma. Not very sour but enough for a slight pucker. Mouthfeel is crisp and leaves the tongue dry, no boozy heat despise being 8abv. Overall a very solid beer and one I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good farmhouse.

My Grade - A

image-847997401.jpg

Beer #78 - Chris's Summer Delight Brewers Share Berliner Weiss - Full Sail

Huge frothy head and gold body with incredible clarity......

image-1701393265.jpg

Good head retention and decent lacing. Theres a nice clean green apple tartness to the aroma balanced out by wheat. Light sour bite and a little bready on the front palate that slowly transitions into notes of wheat all the while that green apple tartness lingers in the background. Theres a little bite from the carbonation which is nice and crisp. Overall a pretty solid berliner that would be great on a hot sunny day.

My Grade - B+

image-2208665332.jpg

Beer #79 - Mosaic Red Rye Ale - Terrapin

Rough pour opens up a murky dark cherry colored body with a 2 finger peanut colored head. Decent head retention and a nice sticky lacing. Aroma is an array of hop character ranging from mango and citrus to a grassy, malty, and rye backbone. The taste is surprisingly malty though well supported by smooth citrus and earthy notes. For some reason I even get a faint hint of coffee in the mid palate which is interesting. The finish is long and is a nice mix of grapefruit and rye. Medium body and medium carbonation. Its hardly notice able but there is a faint underlying booziness hinting at the 6.6% abv. Overall an interesting beer thats well worth trying.

My Grade - B+

image-2668630773.jpg

Beer #80 - Modus Hoperandi IPA - Ska

Pours a golden orange color with a frothy 4 finger beige head that fades slowly leaving behind a wonderful amount of sticky lacing. Crystal like clarity. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, floral, lightly earthy, and an underlying tea note all backed by faint touch of malt round out the nose. Grapefruit and piney notes jump out on the front palate and slowly turn to mango, pineapple, and a light maltiness in the mid palate. The finish melds back to strong flavors of citrus and pine. A very mild booziness lingers on the back of the tongue hinting at the 6.8 abv. Body is light, crisp, and leaves the back of the tongue a little dry. Overall a phenomenal beer thats incredible sessionable.

My Grade - A+

image-3858893326.jpg

Beer #77 - Guava Grove - Cigar City

Pour this one gently because this beer is bubbly!! It took me a few minutes to fill my pint glass and despite being so frothy theres little to no lacing. Body is golden orange with red hues and an off white head. Im immediately confronted by an aroma of funky clove and green apple acidic bite, typical of farmhouse style, that eases into juicy fresh guava. A lot of subtle notes and flavor transitions. The front palate is more of the funky clove found in the aroma with a bit of banana joining the mix. The funk and clove both get amped up a little bit in the mid palate supported by an underlying flavor of guava. The finish introduces a little pepper and a nice tangy note reminiscent of the clean green apple tartness in the aroma. Not very sour but enough for a slight pucker. Mouthfeel is crisp and leaves the tongue dry, no boozy heat despise being 8abv. Overall a very solid beer and one I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good farmhouse.

My Grade - A

I loved the guava Grove that AllenH sent me. Is it still available in Florida?

Beer #81 - Gubna IIPA - Oskar Blues

Golden orange on the pour turning into a fluffy white head with an orange tint. Head retention is great slowly fading away leaving behind a thick lacing. Once settled the color is more of a light copper. Aroma is well balanced with notes of citrus fruits, spiciness, and pine. The front palate is a nice mix of grapefruit and resiny earthiness that softens up to tangerine and crystal malt in the mid palate. The finish is a little more assertive ending with the initial flavors of grapefruit and pine. The 10abv makes itself known around the mid palate and lingers on with the finish. Medium bodied with fairly low carbonation which really gives this beer a thicker mouthfeel without making it overly sweet. A pretty good beer but I would have liked a little more hop flavor. It seemed a bit muddled.

My Grade - B+

image-3640000210.jpg

Beer #82 - Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide

Rough pour shows off a motor oil black body that gradually erupts into a head reminiscent of chocolate milk. Some stained glass on the lacing. The aroma is a rich blend of dark chocolate, oak, spicy bourbon, dark fruit, and caramel. The first thing I notice upon taking a sip is very smooth bourbon which lingers on through the finish. Slowly the oakiness transitions into light smoky notes similar to a little char on grilled food along with touches of dark fruit. This is then met by flavors of dark chocolate and roast coffee with and underlying hint of vanilla the whole way through. The finish is incredibly long and while the booziness is there, its only as much as it should be and never any more. Thick, chewy, and lightly carbed the mouthfeel is almost syrupy. This was truly an amazing RIS and thats still an understatement. An absolute must try!!!

My Grade - A+

image-2450260038.jpg

KeyWestBrewing said:
Beer #82 - Oak Aged Yeti - Great Divide

Rough pour shows off a motor oil black body that gradually erupts into a head reminiscent of chocolate milk. Some stained glass on the lacing. The aroma is a rich blend of dark chocolate, oak, spicy bourbon, dark fruit, and caramel. The first thing I notice upon taking a sip is very smooth bourbon which lingers on through the finish. Slowly the oakiness transitions into light smoky notes similar to a little char on grilled food along with touches of dark fruit. This is then met by flavors of dark chocolate and roast coffee with and underlying hint of vanilla the whole way through. The finish is incredibly long and while the booziness is there, its only as much as it should be and never any more. Thick, chewy, and lightly carbed the mouthfeel is almost syrupy. This was truly an amazing RIS and thats still an understatement. An absolute must try!!!

My Grade - A+

Love the yeti! And the chocolate Yeti is among the best. One of the great divide reps broke my heart when he told me they were no longer going to make the belgian yeti anymore.

mcwilcr said:
Love the yeti! And the chocolate Yeti is among the best. One of the great divide reps broke my heart when he told me they were no longer going to make the belgian yeti anymore.

Really an amazing beer. I'm hoping we'll somehow get more stuff down here. I was extremely surprised to see it when I was at the store. I'll definitely be grabbing more.

Beer #83 - Sixty-One - Dogfish Head

Very interesting rose color on the pour that turns into a thick foamy head very similar to the look and texture of sea foam. Very good retention, the head actually held together about a half inch over the glass without falling down the sides. The beer eventually settles into a nice bright copper with rose hues. Mildly tangy grape must aroma backed by a floral hoppiness and light malt undertones. A very mild citrus hoppiness jumps out immediately giving way to a juicy fruit punch like flavor. This is also brief as its followed by a red wine note with a light sour bite that lingers on to be joined with a little maltiness in the finish. Texture is very crisp and leaves the tongue and roof of the mouth pretty dry. I can't really say this beer fits as an IPA but for what they've actually accomplished its definitely different and unique.

My Grade - B

image-3617270311.jpg

KeyWestBrewing said:
Really an amazing beer. I'm hoping we'll somehow get more stuff down here. I was extremely surprised to see it when I was at the store. I'll definitely be grabbing more.

I didn't realize you were able to get great divide locally, I figured you got it in one of the trades you organized lately. One of these days I'm going to get in on one of those MOW's but there aren't too many beers people want I can get my hands on except anything crooked stave.

The Belgian Yeti was my least favorite of the varieties. I'm excited to try the new oatmeal style.

mcwilcr said:
I didn't realize you were able to get great divide locally, I figured you got it in one of the trades you organized lately. One of these days I'm going to get in on one of those MOW's but there aren't too many beers people want I can get my hands on except anything crooked stave.

Yea I was very surprised myself. The MAW is pretty wild. A lot of beers I've never heard of before.

Beer #84 - Wreck The Halls - Full Sail

So I saw this beer in the store the other day and thought...can I really do a review of a winter beer in the middle of the summer? With temperatures in the 90's and daily down pours reminding me its hurricane season? I say sure why the hell not, things dont have to make sense when you live in Key West!!! Now, to the point.
Golden orange on the pour this beer quickly tops up to a 3 finger yellow-orange head that quickly recedes leaving behind a little lacing. Once settled the body is more of a true copper and is filled with floaties. This beer smells past its prime as I dont get much hop aroma. Its more like a barleywine thats yet to develop its complexity with light hints of raisin, some yeast character, light booziness, and some caramel malt. The flavor is in line with the aroma minus any yeast character. Obviously this beer was meant to enjoyed 6 months ago. Body is light-medium and carbonation is normal. In the end I know Ive had this beer way past its best by date and because of this I dont feel its right trying to rate it.

My Grade - N/A

image-3203019750.jpg

Back