Stuck fermentation, should I repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDan

Reaction score
I brewed a Midwest Irish Stout extract kit a couple of weeks ago, and had an OG of 1.052. I had strong airlock activity for about 16 hours, then not a bubble since. A week later the gravity was 1.024 (shooting for 1.015), and hasn't gone down at all over the last week.

Should I repitch? I originally pitched Munton's dry yeast without rehydrating, and possibly didn't aerate enough. I fermented at ~70F. Thanks!

If you have another pack, toss it in and swirl the vessel to mix it and bring up yeast.

Munton's is one of those yeast strains that just shouldn't be used in all-malt beers, unless you used Munton's Gold. (and even then it should be a last resort). I also think it's only about 5 grams in a package, so it's not enough yeast even if the quality was better. I wouldn't use Munton's anymore in future beers. A good quality dry yeast (S04, S05, Nottingham) would work better.

I doubt that you'll have good results now with repitching, but you could try it. Do NOT stir or anything, though as you don't want to oxidize the beer. It could be finished where it is.

badbrew said:
If you have another pack, toss it in and swirl the vessel to mix it and bring up yeast.

With 8 oz of boiled/cooled sugar water (1/4 cup) with a pinch of yeast nutrient. Cuz why not pull out all the stops!

Next time re-hydrate and aerate, which are both critical when using dry yeast. A better quality yeast like Safale or Nottingham would be a good idea too.

I repitched and now have airlock activity (thank God!). The beer is coming up on 3 weeks in primary, but probably 2 of those weeks had a stuck gravity. Now that I'm getting fermentation again, how long should I leave it? I was planning on bottling it this weekend but now I'm not so sure.

Pull a sample the day that you are planning to bottle and measure. I would think it should drop in a week to where it should be if it was warmed up enough.

Back