Inline refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay9_24

beerganeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I designed an inline refractometer so that I can watch the gravity out of the mash tun as the RIMS runs and also be able to cut off the sparge out when the gravity drops.

Commercial process refractometers are super pricey, hence why I designed my own. I will hash one out at the machine shop this week and if it works good i might have to make a few more for some friends.

Laser_Refractometer.png

The model that i made out of paper and plastic worked great this weekend so i really hope that this works well.

Looks nice. Not sure how it works... You are not far from me. What do you do in Comanhe that involves SolidWorks? I use SW in Mineral Wells at a steel fabricator.

I have an old student copy that I use. just have to wipe the registry and reinstall every ten days. That is about eight more than I need to model something.

I did my test at 150 degrees and as it cooled the refraction index difference was pretty slight. I figure that would be pretty solid for going ahead with a metal prototype. Of coarse if I had 5k on hand I could just buy one and not jack wth it.

Yeah, I would love to know how this worked for you... and if you'd be interested in selling one to a guy in NJ... :D

The plexiglass, wood, and modeling clay prototype proved the idea works but was to frail to be tried under pump pressure. I was pleased with it.

Th en I packed everything up and moved. Havent thought of the project much outside of the pile of laser pointers that I had for testing

The plexiglass, wood, and modeling clay prototype proved the idea works but was to frail to be tried under pump pressure. I was pleased with it.

Th en I packed everything up and moved. Havent thought of the project much outside of the pile of laser pointers that I had for testing

You should think of it again. I'm sure there would be plenty of people on here interested in buying one off you.

It probably would never be worth the cost. The tolerances are pretty tight on the laser diode which would make the part cost prohibitive.

Plus I am ocd and I would have to have the part machined from solid stainless before I could stamp my name on it.

But hey if someone on here works for a company that makes, or sells, high quality laser diodes hit me up and I might get this going again.

I see an Endress & Hauser Promass 83F is usually around $2000-3000 on eBay, so anyone interested can always go that route.

I've used them before and they work deadly! Little spendy though. :)

I designed an inline refractometer so that I can watch the gravity out of the mash tun as the RIMS runs and also be able to cut off the sparge out when the gravity drops.

Commercial process refractometers are super pricey, hence why I designed my own. I will hash one out at the machine shop this week and if it works good i might have to make a few more for some friends.

Laser_Refractometer.png

The model that i made out of paper and plastic worked great this weekend so i really hope that this works well.

I'm really interested in having a go at this. Do you have any other details as to the design and/or parts used here?

Back