Better Bottle CarBoy (plastic) or Glass CarBoy????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrooks

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone tastes the difference and explain what you think. Im having trouble figuring this out because I have done both but really cant tell the difference.

No difference in brewing, big difference in weight and the possibility of a trip to the ER.

Ive read a couple of books that say NOT to use plastic and only Glass, thats why I was hoping people have used both got the same result as me..

Sorry,I cannot comment on using glass. I read up before I bought my kit last July. On what I found I decided to get Better Bottles and personally would never consider glass. I have since gotten another Better Bottle and a bucket. I think anything that says not to use plastic is based on outdated information.

I used glass for a few years when I first started brewing. I gave all of my glass carboys away once I got a Better Bottle and haven't looked back. Anything knocking plastic is outdated. I lager exclusively in Better Bottles and am always pleased with the results.

A thought experiment: While cleaning your carboy, the outside gets wet and slippery and you try to dump it and accidentally drop it from 2" above the concrete. What happens?

While cleaning your better bottle, the outside get wet and slippery and you try to dump it and accidentally drop it from 2" above the concrete. What happens?

While cleaning your plastic bucket you go wild, grab the handle and the bottom of the bucket and heave the cleaning solution over the fence into the neighbor's yard. You then thump the bucket down onto the concrete while beating your chest and howling. What happens?

I switched from glass to better bottles when I did exactly what RM-MN said - dropped the slippery bottle while cleaning. Got lucky and only had to clean up broken glass - no cuts. I'll never buy another glass carboy...

If u choose plastic, the vintage shop makes one without the grooves so its easier to see if its completely clean compared to better bottle.

Back