Flashlight to fermenting wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do this regularly. No problems. Exposing the wort to a small light source for a few seconds shouldn't do anything.

I've done that to every batch I have ever brewed....just can't help it. I'm like a moth flying around a light when I have a beer in primary:D

Eric

It takes pretty long to make beer skunky. Hours in flourescent light according to Papazian and my experience. Relax.

isn't it the UV spectrum that oxidizes beer? a flashlight has VERY LITTLE UV, if any.

isn't it the UV spectrum that oxidizes beer? a flashlight has VERY LITTLE UV, if any.
I was listening to the basic brewing podcast on the subject recently, and according to the chemist they had on there the shorter half of the vis spectrum, < 500 nm or so, can cause these reactions as well.

It's a matter of total energy, as well as spectrum. Your eyes react to a range of light logarithmically, so what looks like a bright flashlight can be hundreds or thousands of times weaker than sunlight.

Not a problem.

How would you feel if somebody watched you with a flashlight while you were doing your thing? Uh-huh, shoe's on the other foot now, isn't it?

How would you feel if somebody watched you with a flashlight while you were doing your thing?

It would depend on who it was actually. Sound kinda Kinky if it involves Cindy from down the street.

It's pretty wild when things are going on in there to the point where the beer/wort is churning...lot's of yeast farts and piss I guess.

Back