Brewing for deploying friend - Long Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerico2100

Reaction score
So a very good friend of mine will be heading to Afganistan for a tour of duty in a month or 2. We decided to brew a big beer to age while he was gone and open it when he returns. I have absolutly no recipies for anything that would take advantage of that kind of aging and was hoping i could get some to show him as i'm letting him choose. I'm primaraly an extract brewer but i'm sure most recipes can be converted from AG to extract. Thanks!

I would agree with the barley wine. Also look into Belgian brews. How long is he going out for? I'm assuming in the 6-8 month range?

He'll be gone for 12-18 months. So it will age the whole time. Not breaking this baby open till he comes back.

+1 Barley Wine

Also as long as you are at it make up a batch of Apfelwein should be great in that time frame. My first 6 months I did not enjoy it but all of a sudden it just got much better.

And wish him well from all of us brewers!

+1 Apfelwein, if that's the kind of thing your friend likes. I have one that's over a year old and it tastes great.

-Steve

We are going to do some style "sampling" this week and pick a style. He'll only be in town for a week so we're brewing next weekend. I wanted to get some recipes together so we can get started as soon as he chooses.

OR you could brew a really BIG stout that would be delicious by the time he got back.
-Me

I vote for a Big American Barleywine, nice and hoppy, with a couple additions of Dry Hops before he heads home. Or just call it a Triple IPA.

Please do wish him well for us. I hope his deployment is uneventful.

Latest posts

Back