NO CHILL beer, and chill haze... UGH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez, why does The Pol have to go on here and claim that only he can produce clear beer with his no chill technique. What a know-it-all!

KIDDING!!! I'm KIDDING!!! :D

You know, no chill IS the only way that you can get clear beer, period...

AND I am the ONLY one that can do it... honest. Read the thread. :p

Not only because of this thread, but I'm definitely on the bandwagon at this point. I plan to no-chill my next batch just so I can finish my brew day an hour earlier.

Hahahahhaha. man....

34 seems awfully cold to me.

It is hot as hell out, I like cold beer, sue me.

I hate stouts and porters too... I know, I need to be shot on sight.

I just spent $30 on 50' of copper on craigslist and only for that reason I don't believe no chill is real. :(

It is hot as hell out, I like cold beer, sue me.

I hate stouts and porters too... I know, I need to be shot on sight.

Well, if you're going to test if a brewing technique causes you chill haze, you might as well chill that mother way down to see. :D

Well, if you're going to test if a brewing technique causes you chill haze, you might as well chill that mother way down to see. :D

You know, if it had been like 45F there would have been some tool saying..

"you know, that is not THAT cold... I bet it has haze when it is really cold"

Screw that tool... :D

I can't tell what kind of car that is, shoulda used a chiller! Seriously, I've never been one way or the other but even though I hate cleaning next to bottling I'm glad to just get it down to temps and clean everything in one day.

Point is you don't use any kind of chiller and you get excellent clarity. :rockin:

Wouldnt the yeast die at those temps?

Or would it only be introduced after complete cooling?

After cooling!

I pitch under temp, and then let it rise to fermentation temperatures. Mine would go into my Sanke fermenter inside my chest freezer. I would put a fan in the freezer to circulate the air around the keg better while cooling. Wonder how much I can drop the temperature overnight in that setup?

Not to be contrary, Pol, but could the fact you're kegging be the real secret to your clarity? I've never had homebrew as clear and brite as I do now from the kegerator.

I bottle. I no-chill. My beer is clear. No claims about any long term stability made, but so far, so good.

(Well, I keg as well, but I bottle about 2/3's of my batches)

Wonder how much I can drop the temperature overnight in that setup?

I put my cube in my fermentation chiller (a milk cooler) that's set at 60 (that's the ambient temp 90% of my beers get fermented at) and I've pitched as early as 12 hours. I put my cube in the corner where it has direct cold wall contact on 2 sides - I get frost on the walls. My cooler will only run for so long before kicking off, so if the temp in my basement is higher, it takes longer - or that's my working theory.

18 hours is usually how long I wait - just because I usually finish up mid day on brew day and then pitch the next morning.

I am brewing my Hugh Heffe this week... we will see if that clears as well as all the others.

snicker.

Hello Pol. Bumping an old thread.

I followed this a while back. Just looking at US plastics today. I am considering getting a couple of Winpaks.

Are you still doing the no chill method for every batch?

Hello Pol. Bumping an old thread.

I followed this a while back. Just looking at US plastics today. I am considering getting a couple of Winpaks.

Are you still doing the no chill method for every batch?

I am still no chilling (though I have not brewed in about 4-5 months while I have been selling and building my rigs and such)

I have a chiller on my new rig, but I also had a chiller on my old rig... sometimes I use it, sometimes I dont :D

I need to find a smaller vessel to try this with. I want to start brewing 2.5 gallon batches and during the winter it will be so easy to do this. Could probably pitch in a couple of hours.

I do 2.5 gallon batches and got a couple of 3 gallon HDPE containers from the deli down the street. They are square and have a handle. They get their vegetable oil in them-
If you know someone who frys turkeys they are the same oil containers.
Free is good. I don't plan on long storage ,just no chill to pitch the next day.
I have not done one yet but next batch is planned as a Brew in a Bag No Chill.

A lot of these questions have been asked 20x....

Um, the only issue is how to deal with no headspace and the vaccuum presented when the wort cools. It is pretty tremendous. Get around those, and yah, SS handles heat well. Ive never done it, and with the need for foam control and modification to the keg itself, it is just easier for ME to use the Winpak...

Anyone using kegs for this??

I have been no chilling for a few months. I have used a corny for every one. At flameout I fill a cleaned corny to the brim, keg lube and seal. If pitching the next day I simply rack to my fermentor when 60*. If pitching a few days later I will hit the corny with c02.

Before opening the corny lid I pull the pressure release, most times you will get suck back so the cornies usually will hold a vacuum. Once and a while you get nothing, so its not a vacuum but I have not had any ill affects from this.

Hope this helps someone

Stupid question but what about just covering your boil kettle overnight or simply letting the wort cool for an hour until it's at a reasonable temperature to pitch into the glass carboy--say somewhere in the mid 100s?

Back