Honey Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZackWylde

Reaction score
I'm aiming for a Sweet Roasted Brown Porter but not over powering in any one flavor. With a full to med body Would like some feedback and thoughts

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.94 %
Bitterness: 31.3 IBU
Est Color: 21.8 SRM

Grains
78.09% Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain
6.52 % Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain
8.70 % Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)
6.26 % Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain

Hops
1oz Glacier [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 24.1 IBU
0.75 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.2 IB

Yeast
not sure yet something clean 1056 wlp0001 or alike

Mash
154-156 75min

I think almost 13% honey malt is far too much and would be overpowering, I'd say kick it down to around the 8-10% range, I'd also be tempted to replace the special roast with some brown malt, but I really love me some brown malt.

Personally I would not add much if any honey malt to a porter. They are usually sweet enough as is, and that's predominantly what you get from honey malt - sweet. Use less honey than chocolate and add a pound of brown or amber malt and 1/4 - 1/2 lb med crystal for some body and sweetness instead. I think Special Roast and Brown malt are similar, if not almost the same actually, so you could bump that to a pound or so I guess.

Edited orginal post to reflect changes to recipe. Reduced honey malt and changed to brown malt.

things look more inline now

Back