Haier 7.1 cu ft freezer for $175 at Costco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone done a Keezer with one of these? Im looking at doing a Coffin Keezer, was curious if anyone else had already done it and had dimensions or google sketch up plans...

For example i measured from the ground to the highest point i could find and it was 33 inches along the sides of the lid where the raised siding is...but the manufacturer says its 33 1/4th inches...im trying to figure out where that last bit is...

Also all of the molding/siding i am not sure how i go about attaching 2x4's or something at the corners to it since its uneven...

Anyone done a Keezer with one of these? Im looking at doing a Coffin Keezer, was curious if anyone else had already done it and had dimensions or google sketch up plans...

For example i measured from the ground to the highest point i could find and it was 33 inches along the sides of the lid where the raised siding is...but the manufacturer says its 33 1/4th inches...im trying to figure out where that last bit is...

Also all of the molding/siding i am not sure how i go about attaching 2x4's or something at the corners to it since its uneven...

I made a Keezer out of this, I took some laminate wood about 6" tall and 1.5" wide. I had no issue gluing this to the rim, as it seemed very even to me. I can take some pictures if that helps.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to share their notes on how they converted this freezer into a keezer. I'm not particularly handy and will need all the help I can get!

I plan to have four kegs inside and my 10# CO2 tank outside.

In addition to turning this into a keezer I'd appreciate guidance on choosing and installing the temperature controller.

Thanks so much!

I ended up getting a different freezer, but for the temperature control I picked up a single stage digital Ranco. Super easy to setup, and for a few bucks more you can get them prewired with plugs. You shouldn't need to make a collar to fit four kegs in it, so the controller should be all you need.

I wired my own controller since I had plugs and cable left over from a previous product, but if you're not super handy I would just spend the couple bucks on getting the prewired unit. You'd spend the money saved on the blank unit on the needed electrical parts anyways. So if you get a unit that is wired with plugs, it's literally just a plug and play setup and finding somewhere to mount the controller. The Ranco and Johnsons just need a screw to hang off of.

wadewegner said:
I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to share their notes on how they converted this freezer into a keezer. I'm not particularly handy and will need all the help I can get!

I plan to have four kegs inside and my 10# CO2 tank outside.

In addition to turning this into a keezer I'd appreciate guidance on choosing and installing the temperature controller.

Thanks so much!

I'm on my phone, but would suggest you watch the northern brewer tutorial on how to build a keezer (YouTube). The directions there work perfectly for this freezer.
Now if I could only get my drip tray to stick...

I ended up getting a different freezer, but for the temperature control I picked up a single stage digital Ranco. Super easy to setup, and for a few bucks more you can get them prewired with plugs. You shouldn't need to make a collar to fit four kegs in it, so the controller should be all you need.

Usually you put the collar on for the taps, otherwise you might damage the freezer walls. At least that's what I have heard. I don't know what is in the side walls of the freezer itself. All you need is some 2X6's for a collar. I made mine with 45 degree angle cuts but I wouldn't do it that way again. Just butt them together and fasten them with screws. I attached my collar to the keezer with insulation putty. You can always use some party taps until you get around to making a collar.

I'm building a keezer with the Haier 7.1. I have a 5.5"x0.75" red oak collar that I'm working on. I'll reinforce the back with 1'5" of foam insulation and cover it with foil tape.

I'd like to attach a computer case fan to the collar. Currently I'm wondering the merits of building a false bottom for the kegs to rest on to allow airflow. If I build one... what should I make it out of?

Work in progress, I still need to carve away some of the corners so the lid will close:
ForumRunner_20120928_104337.jpg

Edit: Yes, I spray-painted a brand new freezer black. It felt strange, but I don't care for white appliances.

I just picked this freezer up from Costco. $230ish in Hawaii. Had to replace my ferm chamber. I wanted an upright but the price was right and it'll fit 2x 6.5gal carboys no problem. Matter of fact, once I finish this second brew today (21st Amendment Bitter American clone) it'll be on its trial run.

I built my keezer with the subject chest freezer around the holidays last year. 2 x 6 on the rim with a 1 x 12 skirt around the outside.

031.jpg

I built my keezer with the subject chest freezer around the holidays last year. 2 x 6 on the rim with a 1 x 12 skirt around the outside.

Do you have any pictures of the skirt? I am planning on putting my keezer on a stand as well with casters and am trying to figure out a good size.

By skirt I meant an outer piece of 1 x 12 around the 2 x 6's, so the 2 x 6's are what sit around the freezer top and the 1 x 12's hang over the edge another 6 inches. I don't have anything around the bottom.

By skirt I meant an outer piece of 1 x 12 around the 2 x 6's, so the 2 x 6's are what sit around the freezer top and the 1 x 12's hang over the edge another 6 inches. I don't have anything around the bottom.

Ahh, I see now. I was planning on using 1x6 up top and not skirting it, just making brackets inside the freezer to hold the collar on. The skirt seems useful though as I don't want to have to drill into the new freezer to mount the drip tray. I may have to think about that now.

Frothus--thanks for the blog post. I think I am going to do the same thing.

Is the temperature control hard to install? Where did you buy the co2 manifold?

Frothus--thanks for the blog post. I think I am going to do the same thing.

Is the temperature control hard to install? Where did you buy the co2 manifold?

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Life got hectic and I stopped following HBT for a while. I bought most of my equipment off of Amazon. I could find the specific model if you still care. Note the barb connector diameter when you buy it or you'll have to push hard to force the gas line onto the barb (what I did). It works fine though. Also, I'm happy with clear gas lines so I can see if any beer flows into it (can happen if you over fill and add kegs with different pressure levels).

I ended up with the Johnson controller because I was too lazy to bother with the type that you mount into the collar or lid. The Johnson controller is seriously easy. I have yet to install a fan inside for circulation. I have only been using 3 kegs though and circulation doesn't seem to be an issue.

-Frothus

Update guys. So I got a 2.5G keg for the holidays and it fits in there as well. This could be the best freezer to date. I have one with 4/5g ball locks and 1/2.5g keg and a chamber with 2/6.5 carboys.
8318897724_a9b741c88c_z.jpg

Looking to do this setup with a collar and putting 4 ball locks on the floor, but I would also like to use the hump to lager/cold crash before kegging. Does anyone know if this is big enough or if putting the 6 gallon better bottle would push the limit over the edge?

Not sure if it will allow a BB or not. I have a friend that got one of these and has 4 balls in it. I'll try to swing by with my BB this week and see if it fits.

Thanks the would be awesome. I can take in cut out circles, but when it comes down to sizing it up its best to size with the actual bottles I found.

I saw the post that showed it would fit two Better Bottles. Does anyone know if it would fit two buckets instead?

What size buckets? I have one now, but not as Keezer but as actual freezer since the other one broke down. I have the 7.9 gallon bucket and I doubt two would be able to fit on the floor, one could fit on floor and one of hump.

But I do not have the 6.5 size bucket so I could not tell you if they would fit if that is what you have.

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant the standard 6.5 gallon buckets.

I bet it would work as I know my carboys just fit inside a 6.5 bucket, so they are marginally wider. I have a 7 cu ft Frigidaire that accepts 2 buckets or 4 ball lock kegs.

I noticed that the hinges are only about 4" long so are you guys using something smaller than a 2X4 to reconnect the lid to the freezer over the collar? I know you don't want to screw into the side and I didn't think the silicone adhesive would be strong enough to hold the spring hinged lid and the collar to the bottom of the freezer. Anyone else run into this problem? Sorry if there is a easy answer to this that I'm missing I'm not very handy.

I noticed that the hinges are only about 4" long so are you guys using something smaller than a 2X4 to reconnect the lid to the freezer over the collar? I know you don't want to screw into the side and I didn't think the silicone adhesive would be strong enough to hold the spring hinged lid and the collar to the bottom of the freezer. Anyone else run into this problem? Sorry if there is a easy answer to this that I'm missing I'm not very handy.

The collar sits on the freezer and the hinges from the lid attach to the collar now instead. You can attach the collar to the freezer with a hinge and hard mount the freezer lid to the collar and just make that the whole lid, but you need something to hold the whole lid up due to the extra weight. You can also make them both hinged if you want. The possibilities are endless!

So glad I found this thread. I have one of these and it makes a great ferm. chamber. I've been wanting to get another one to replace the Frigidaire I'm currently using as a keezer. The downfall was that I couldn't get four ball locks in the floor, but evidently you guys are able to and I'm just not trying hard enough. I may end up hitting the bottoms of them with a wire wheel on the old die grinder to take off some rubber to ease fitment. The price on this freezer can't be beat.

Good to know, I'll have to check ours this week. SWMBO wants one to buy bulk meat. I told her about keezers and she said "cool, we should get two if they're still that price so you can start kegging"!

Just bought one from walmart for $200. Not as good as the 175 or 179 that have been listed, but still not bad for a keezer. Can't wait to get this thing built.

Costco has them online for $249 now; not sure if they are still cheap in store or not.

I've had mine built since January and love it. I need to defrost it soon but so far so good! I am probably going to build a digital temp controller for mine as well.

Just got one in Puerto Rico (which is a bit more expensive than in the states) for 189. Still think is a good deal considering other of the same size go for 250+ at other stores

Update guys. So I got a 2.5G keg for the holidays and it fits in there as well. This could be the best freezer to date. I have one with 4/5g ball locks and 1/2.5g keg and a chamber with 2/6.5 carboys.
8318897724_a9b741c88c_z.jpg
What model chest freezer did you use? Thanks!

For those that care to use it for keezer builds, I created a Sketchup model of this freezer containing hand measurements of pretty much all of the important bits. The only thing i didnt bother with was the interior of the lid as it doesnt really affect the measurements of how much the keezer can hold, as well as the drain hole.

The freezers split into a top and bottom, you can rotate/pivot/move the top to see the inside with hump to scale.
Its under Haier HCM071LC Chest Freezer]
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7ce4ab43b2d213537d867fd4d6d20707&prevstart=0
download

Back