Please critique my Wild Rice beer recipe before I brew it tonight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potzertommy

Reaction score
I wanted it to be a very simple beer to highlight the flavors from the rice.

5 gal batch:

8 lbs light 2-row pilsner malt
0.5 lbs caramel malt
2 lbs thoroughly boiled wild rice

0.5 oz kent goldings - 60 min
0.5 oz willamette - 60 min
0.5 os saaz - 15 min

London III yeast

Does anyone have any input on mashing schedule?
Does anyone have any input on how i should handle the wild rice? Should i crush it? Blend it? Boil it with or without malt?

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Don't boil your malt, you'll destroy the enzymes. Mash the rice up after you cook it and just stir it into the malt. A 60 minute mash at 152F should do the trick.

What Lovibond is the crystal?

20 lovibond on the caramel.

I wasn't planning on boiling ALL the malt, but i read some places that adding a little malt to the boil makes it easier to work with

TFries made a really tasty wild rice pils. I'll see if i can stir him up and get some recipe action from him.

It's probably too late for you now, but you do want to throw a small amount of the grain into the rice while it is boiling. That helps it from getting too gummy. You want to break the rice up as much a possible, like putting them in a bag and hitting them with a hammer.

I used 11% wild rice in the lager I did. I was surprised that it gave more of a floral flavor then a nutty one. I would have guessed the it would have been more nutty.

Back