Moving the primary fermenter after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarindel

Reaction score
My first brew has been in the primary for about 2.5 weeks now, and I'm planning to bottle it on Thursday evening. It's spent those 2.5 weeks sitting in a closet in the back of my house. I want to move it to my garage so I can get it up off the ground for siphoning to the bottling bucket, and in case of any spillage.

How soon before I siphon should I move the fermenter? I want to make sure I leave enough time for any gunk that gets stirred up in the move to resettle before I siphon.

Also, anything else I should be aware of during the process of moving the carboy?

Thanks!

Make sure that you let the carboy sit for at least 2 hours or so to let the sediment settle back down. Some people even leave the carboy for 24 hours or more.
Personally, I just let my carboy sit for about 30 minutes or so when I move mine.

Just go slow nad make sure not to swish it around much. The swishing will not hurt your beer it will just take longer to settle back down.

Latest posts

Back